Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Please Support Us!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $40.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Gross Amount: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.58
Net Balance: $23.42
Below Goal: $16.58

©
59% 
November Donations
7th Anonymous $20.00
5th Anonymous $5.00
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: US Laws on Treasure  (Read 3365 times)
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 05:19:37 AM »

Greetings;

Wopper wrote " The Judge separated the two, (treasure and antiquities) and awarded the finders the treasure and the State of California the antiquities."

Was this a circuit court or a Federal Court judge? I am not familiar with the story, if you could post it or a summary, that would be appreciated. My take on it is if it is a Fed, judge, a precedent may well have been set, but judges have wide discretion in any rulings, and no two cases are ever identical.

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Wopper
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

I have seen the light of shadow.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2007, 06:27:45 AM »

Howdy Bart,

I wrote my original post from memory of an article I had read in the "Treasure Hunter Confidential News Letter," years ago. I just found the actual court case on line, and it differs from what I wrote. Here is a brief of the case, which can be found here. http://acuaonline.org/legupdates/brojonCC.html

The practical effect of the decision and the order of the Supreme Court was to return the case to the Federal Court in San Francisco for a full trial. In the words of the Court, �the judgment of the Court of Appeals assuming jurisdiction over this case is affirmed, its judgment in all other respects is vacated, and the case is remanded for further proceeding consistent with this opinion� (California vs Deep Sea Research, Inc (96-1400) 102 F. 3d 379). Rather than proceeding with a full trial and its inherent cost in time and money, the parties sought a settlement. After a number of months, an agreement evolved which was eventually confirmed by the Court on March 11, 1999. The State received title to the ship and all the non-monetary artifacts. It also received 200 of the gold coins. The remaining 1007 coins were granted to Deep Sea Research as a salvage award. DSR will also be given a State permit to continue recovery operations under State supervision.

Here is another link. http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/96-1400.ZS.html

I will try to find the original article and post it.

Sincerely,

Wopper

"Yea though I walk through the rooms of archives, I will fear no knowledge."
Wopper
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 07:00:10 AM »

Howdy Bart,

Here is the original story that appeared in Treasure Hunter Confidential Volume 15, Number 3 March, 1999 I must have a slight case of CRS. I some how had it in my mind, or read in another magazine that there was a Court decision not a settlement. I'll be the first to admit that I was wrong, and I thank you for making me revue the story.

Sincerely,

Wopper

* THC News letter.jpg (615.52 KB, 1435x1007 - viewed 2 times.)

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 11:54:20 AM »

Thanks Wopper;

It is essentially as you stated earlier. Something tells me that artifacts and coinage are about to be redefined under Cal. law. I saw no mention of Wells Fargo, insurers, or heirs/antecedents receiving anything, or even being mentioned. Have you heard any reason why the State received some of the coins? What was that all about? Does DSR's acquiescing to that somehow set a precedent of some sort for the future? And why must these things be adjudicated over and over? It is enough to take the wind out of a salvor's sails.

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Wopper
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »

Howdy History Hunters,

Bart asked the following questions:
Have you heard any reason why the State received some of the coins? What was that all about?
If my memory serves me correct, DSR agreed to give the State of CA. 20% of any treasure recovered for DSR being given a State permit to continue recovery operations under State supervision.

why must these things be adjudicated over and over? It is enough to take the wind out of a salvor's sails.

Each case is unique, and the laws can apply differently. In the Brother Jonathan case, the salvers purchased the title to the ship and its contents from insurance companies that had paid claims. In the case of the S. S. Central America, the Columbus-America Discovery Group failed to do so leaving themselves open to legal claims by the insurance companies. I believe that Spain now claims ownership of all their shipwrecks, no matter where they are located in the world.

The only thing that is certain is the fact that the treasure salvage business is complicated in every aspect, from the search, recovery, and ownership.

Sincerely,

Wopper

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  All   Go Up
Print
GoogleTagged: gpaa texas gold lease

Jump to: