Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Tips and 'Tricks' - How To and Where to For USA Detectorists  (Read 845 times)
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2007, 05:38:40 PM »

How To and Where to For USA Detectorists

HOW TO DO A BASIC MAP RESEARCH

It's important to know how to read maps, including both old and new topographical maps, correctly. The principle of this type of map research is simple: to obtain as many old maps of the same area as possible and compare them to the modern topographic map. Sometimes finding an old map is challenging, especially in the case of the early Colonial maps called plats. But even if you lucky obtaining such a map, you still have to do a lot of work deciphering the map's symbolic content. Plats were not drawn to scale, and the detail you know and expect today was not present. Roads, terrain and land parcels were approximate at best.

The more less scaled US maps of the townships were issued for the first time in the mid-1800s. They were called "Beer's Maps" or "Beer's Atlases." Such maps can be obtained at the County library, State Archives, or downloaded from the Internet. Beer's maps don't show the terrain but contain many important pieces of information that can be useful for further research.

Used-to-be houses, now cellar holes, are marked by pink dots on the Beer's Map Issued in 1854. Still-standing houses are marked by blue-green dots.
Besides giving location of the school houses and homesteads marked with their landowners' names, these maps correctly depicted roads, with distances between landmarks. At that time, the distances were measured in rods, also known as "poles" or "perches.". 1 rod equals to 16.5 feet and was once known as a "quarter-chain."
A Gunter's Chain was a linked measuring device 66 feet long, including handles on both ends. It was invented in 1620 by Edmund Gunter, an English mathematician: all road and land measurements since his day were shown on maps in "chains" or their divisions (rods). Few know why a mile should be 5,280 feet long; but if you multiply a chain by 80, you will soon find out (80 x 66 = 5280).

Beer's maps are scaled 160 rods (or 1/2 mile to the inch) which makes it easier to measure distances and locate cellar holes on the ground. This might be crucial in the cases when the torrential rains changed the terrain dramatically, or dense vegetation has made the cellar holes invisible, thus making their discovery a difficult task for a treasure hunter.

The following map was issued seven years later, in 1861, and, for example, shows fewer houses on the upper road. That means that there would be no modern junk found around the remaining cellar holes and foundations of those houses. Also, older coins and relics could be found there.

After these maps have been compared, all remaining cellar holes and foundations, potential metal detecting sites, should be marked and transferred onto the modern topographical map. This map would be used for locating the cellar holes during the footwork on the ground.

The best topographical maps for treasure hunting purposes are those in the "seven-and-one-half-minute" series, with a scale of 1 to 24,000. Each of these maps covers an area of approximately 60 square miles. These maps can be obtained from the various sources including the U.S. Geological Survey.

As you can see, this simple map research yielded seven available hunt sites that are situated within a 1/2-mile distance on one road. Next step is to do some footwork and conduct busy treasure hunting.

Other types of maps that are helpful for your research: tax maps, fire insurance maps, military maps, railroad maps, canal maps, property deeds, census documents.

Tips On Research - Footwork

Here are some tips on footwork research during the warm months of the year. This activity can be done either after you have done your research and need to locate an actual site, or when you lack any leads and just assume that there might be something potential in the area.

Roadways

Always pay attention to dirt roads, trails, side pathways and dead ends (not always so). It's understood that if there is a road, it leads somewhere, or used to lead somewhere. It wasn't built for nothing. Abandoned roads in the forested areas are what you need to focus on. Being not bothered by a large amount of junk targets, some metal detectorists search only such roads and recover a handful of old coins.
By the way, in early America, the wide road infrastructure was not developed until the mid-1800s, and the roads weren't the major way of freight transportation even then. Today, when you send anything across country you refer to it as "shipping." This stems from the time when freight sent across-country went only by ship or canal boat. The canals took even some of the tourist business.

For example, even as late as 1860 many roads in New England were only clearings through forest, with few level stretches and often with stumps left in the middle of the road. In that year, the governor of Connecticut wrote, "...This kind of road will throw a child out of its mother's arms. We let our road-makers shake us enough to the mile to furnish assault and battery cases for a thousand police cases." That tells you one good thing: coins certainly dropped out of the travelers' pockets during the rides on those roads.

As the early roads were no more than rivers of mud, road-makers experimented and used different materials, from crushed coal to corncobs, to overcome that problem. There are still crushed-oyster-shell roads along the seacoast, left over from the time before the development of plank roads. First plank highway was built in Canada in 1836. In 1875, there were close to three thousand miles of plank roads in New York alone, and by 1880 the idea had spread to every other state.

The word "highway" came from old Europe, where there was always a smooth private road for the King, with adjoining lower shelf road for commoners. The word "turnpike" originated from the past when a pike turned or raised to admit travelers past the tollhouse. The custom of leading a horse from the left, and the convenience of having the teamster's seat also on the left side of the wagon, was why turnpike wagons traveled to the right of the road; because of that, Americans started driving on the right side of the road.

While exploring the abandoned roads, you should search:
1) Intersections
2) Openings in stone walls
3) Spots around creek crossings (possible "rest stops") and bridges, or bridge remains
4) Side pathways
5) Openings in the forest
6) Earth mounds and depressions on the roadsides
7) Single-standing or first-growth trees, apple or other fruit trees on the roadsides and in the forest
CoolUnusual or alien vegetation and planting on the roadsides

Stone Walls

The impressive thing about New England is its stone walls that extend for miles through the forest. You might wonder why anyone would have gone to such great labor building stone fences through thick forest; they wind over steep wooded mountains and into the deepest glens. The truth is that when they were built, no forest was there as it had been cut down. The stone walls were no more than neatly piled rocks, gathered during the farm clearings of the eighteenth century. Over years, the abandoned farm lands have been reclaimed by the second and third growth forest.

Stone walls were usually topped with one or two rails of wood which have since disappeared into fireplaces as fuel, or rotted away with the years. Stone fences were not only property divisions but also did the chore of keeping cattle in. During the hot summer days, stone walls provided a shade for resting farmer.

While metal detecting around a cellar hole or foundation, it's important to search the areas on both sides of the stone wall that encloses the property. Kids used to play on the fence railings and lost coins. Also being in close proximity to the house, the stone wall would be a good landmark for stashing treasures in it or near it. Many coin caches and other relics have been recovered from the stone walls by treasure hunters.

First-Growth Trees

The oldest homesteads were usually graced with one big first-growth tree. Such trees were also left standing on the farming lands as "markers" - that's why some of them still can be seen in the forest that has taken the farming fields back. All farmed land was once barren of trees except for these markers and the few farmhouse giants that remained.

Always check out the area around a first-growth tree or large decayed stump, in 90% cases, you would find a foundation or cellar hole. Also, a giant tree would be another good landmark to hide a treasure nearby.

Vegetation

When far within wooded areas, notice low-level vegetation and tree types growing in the area. Look for atypical trees such as apple, pear, cherry and chestnut, and bushes such as forsythia, rose and lilac. They all stand out among the forest in times of blossom and fruit bearing.

Another vegetation clue to locating cellar holes is a dense ground cover called "myrtle" or "periwinkle." It has waxy green leaves with white or blue colored flowers when in bloom. It looks like an emerald carpet from a distance.

Pottery and China Shards

Scattered pottery and china shards is another good clue to locating a cellar hole in the wooded area or in the field. Pay attention to the ground and creek beds to spot scattered pieces of pottery and other nonmetallic objects, such as clam shells, broken window glass, dish and bottle pieces, clay pipe stems, marbles, and coal, that were buried just under the surface and later washed out or exposed by heavy rains or wind erosion.

Ground Depressions and Cellar Holes

Early settlers usually located their homes on high ground so that rain and ground water would drain away from the foundation. The dimensions of a cellar hole can often be an indicator directly proportional to financial stature. Investigate all shallow ground depressions and earth mounds of building dimension size.

When GPS navigation is not available, various natural landmarks would help you find your position on the map and locate abandoned cellar holes in the area. Make sure you know How to Use a Compass or, without it, how to determine where north is. Knowledge of basic survival skills is a must for any treasure hunter.

A clue to locating an old homesite could be just a stone slab barely visible in the wooded area down the road. Observation and keen awareness are two traits that you, as a treasure hunter, must employ to be successful. Always study your surroundings and look for anything that would indicate older activity of people.

Other Types of Research

Talking To Old Timers and Locals

Old timers are the best source of leads. They are in your area and possess invaluable information that sometimes can't be found in old books and newspapers. All you have to do is to ask them the right questions and be a good listener. For example, an old timer talks about the church bazaars held for years, and how that property is now scraped off and ready to be sold for a new shopping center. Be always respectful, courteous, and grateful for their kindness.

Some old timers might even take you to the location and point out to a treasure spot.
Fishermen and hunters also might disclose locations of potentially good treasure hunting sites in the area, where they fish and hunt. I have a book of all trout streams in my state, with all related info for pinpointing them, printed by the state Natural Resources Dept. Found at a local used book store, it cost me a whopping $2.00. it is one of my best resources for locating old sites in remote areas. Each year deer and other wild game hunters trek deep into uninhabited areas in their search for game. They see things that mean little to them, but could indicate places to detect. Old homestead dumps have been located this way, and such places yield many interesting and valuable items and artifacts. Ask around, join a club, hunting, birdwatching, fishing, hiking, etc. They all love to talk about what they do and have seen.

The Town, County or State library or State Archives

are still the best source of old maps, history books, old newspapers, memoirs and diaries, school yearbooks and community celebration books. Today, you can obtain any book, any document, any microfilm or its copy through the regional inter-library loan system that is computerized. You need to become familiar with the computerized setup at your library to search through classified catalogues.

Valuable documentation can be found in the National Archives, Library of Congress (Manuscript Section), the Historical Sections of the Department of Defense, the Interior, Justice and Agriculture. On the state government level, documentation can be found in the secretary of state's archives, state treasurer's archives, state land offices' archives and state prison records.

On a county level, documents may be found in the archives of the county attorneys, clerks, surveyors, assessors and sheriffs. In city governments, old records can be found in the files or archives of mayors, city clerks, city engineers, libraries, city museums, police departments, street commissions and utilities offices. Private records of attorneys, bankers, businessmen, doctors and auctioneers can also furnish clues to finding a treasure.

Many rare and old historical books can be found in a small and antique book stores, annual library book sales, garage sales and, of course, on Internet. College library and your community, county or state Historical Society also possess a good amount of local historical information, nothing to say about their special publications that might date back to the early 1900s. Genealogical books can help you track present day descendants of ancestors who owned the land discovered in your research.
But don't buy some very expensive, "rare" book or map, touted to give you a fabulous lead. In all probability, if it's that good the person who owns it wouldn't want to sell it. And more likely many people bought that book and followed that "fabulous" lead. Definitely stay away from so called "Treasure Atlases." They are good only for collecting or armchair treasure hunters.

Historical Plates or Markers and Road Signs

While driving through your community, you might have seen such plates standing on the roadside. In New York state, they were erected by the Department of Education in the 1930s. By showing the exact locations where historical events took place or where settlements once stood, these historical markers might provide you with valuable leads.
While driving through any rural area, be on the lookout for road signs that use words like: grove, park, school house, church, fort, reunion, revival, canal, lock, ferry, market, square, beach, picnic lane, battlefield, camp, etc. They might indicate treasures.

Old Photographs and Lithographs

Old photographs, lithographs and postcards can be worth a thousand footsteps as well as words. They will give you a first-hand visual description of the place of your interest, let you see all changes that occurred in the area over the years, and enable you to pinpoint exact location of the spot among the modern infrastructure.
Tools for research can take on other forms and types. More likely you will develop your own research methods and techniques. Always think like a detective, develop a concentrated self-discipline, be persistent, diligent and dedicated, be curious and have fun! Today it is the internet, Google Earth, GPS, and all sorts of historical information sites. Make a list of the ten closest sites you would like to detect if all the requirements fell into place. Lean all you can about them, then go about getting permission to search from the owner, and move down the list when the search is either blocked or completed.

By the time you reach the bottom, you will have at least ten more sites to research, and a place to go anytime you have the urge to go out, for the rest of your life. Talk to ther's who are retired or unable to get out anymore, they are likely an excellent source for places they would love to go to if they were able to. If you can't find a place after all the above, you should perhaps find another hobby.

Logging

Does your area have any history of logging? If so, there may well be clubs or groups that identify and map the old logging camps, roads, and ways to get to them. Axes, chains, canthooks, ox shoes, marsh shoes, hand-forged iron, etc, are common items found in these areas, and can be highly sought after artifacts by museums and collectors.

While cruising Ebay one day, I ran across several old postcards from my area, one of which showed the old swimming hole on a local river of a small town nearby. I didn't even need to buy the card, cheapskate that I am, I simply copied the jpeg and archived it on my computer. After printing it out, I visited some old friends that I knew in the town, and they were able to pinpoint the location exactly for me. This place is on the top of my list for the first outing this spring. Effort, thought, and a little work will always pay off. Good luck and good hunting!

- Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Sovereign
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 05:54:36 PM »

This is most useful for metal detectorists in the USA. May I suggest that you click on the 'Submit article' link (main menu, left) and paste it there? No doubt Admin and many others would appreciate this.

Cheers!
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 08:41:10 PM »

You are too kind sir, thank you. I should try that once, something new for me, submitting an article.

I have since thought of another experience I have had that would also be helpful to many. So you live in a big city, and don't get out into the highways and byways of the rural areas where the 'ghost' towns and lost and abandoned sites are. Well the, you are more fortuante than most, and there is no reason in the world why shouldn't have more old silver coins than 95% of detectorists in the world. You are standing on a silver mine, literally tons of silver US coins which you walk and drive past every day of the year. That is not an exaggeration either. A thousand, nay, ten thousand hands full of silver await anyone willing to dig them up.

When I lived in the big city of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and first began detecting, I found that the absolute best places to go were the older residential neighborhoods. Older houses, built around the turn of the century or shortly thereafter. Front yard, back yard, either side of the house, it didn't matter. I always walked away with one or more heaping hands full of silver US coins, jewelry (usually dime store junk), fraternity pins, and all the other lost junk of people. I am fairly sure I didn't get to detect every house in the city, so there are probably a few hundred thousand left to detect. The more I found, the more offers I received from neighbors who wanted to know what was in their yards also. Frankly, I just got tired of digging up coins.

One neighbor refused to let me detect his lawn, went out and bought his own detector, and his first time out found a cache of 30 US gold coins under a cement bench in his yard. He said he had no idea who they originally belonged to, but he always 'knew' there was gold buried in the yard. I invited him to go with me several times, but he always refused.

He never detected again in his life, and passed the gold coins on to his nephew before he died a few years ago. An odd fellow, I knew him for about 40 years, he was born in Poland, never married, but he could 'see' things, and 'knew' things like no one I had ever met. Two of his nephews were the same way, but I have no idea what to call it besides some sort of gift. I wish I had that gift.

- Bart

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:32:52 PM »

Thank you for this wealth of information, but I know it's going to cost me.  Any recommendations as to detectors?  There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness and I really shouldn't acquire another one but this is something I've always wanted to do.

Have you ever used aerial photos?  I've seen some taken with infrared film and ground that has been disturbed holds and loses heat differently than undisturbed ground, and shows up in the photos.  It probably would only work well in open country.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_infrared.html

Regards,

Barry
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 03:47:07 AM »

Thank you for this wealth of information, but I know it's going to cost me.  Any recommendations as to detectors?  Funny you should ask that, I spent much of the afternoon researching which detector I would like to get next. I have owned two units since I started in 1969, when I purchased White's top of the line 66TR Disc. I still have it and use it as my only unit. I have seen and tried many others, and there really isn't anything better out there today, once you set the whistles and bells aside. I have been hearing for thirty years of greater depth, and have yet to see any unit made since then that actually produces a substantial gain in depth. It has all been hype, aimed at jacking the price every year, in my view. The only reason I would buy a new unit would be for ergonomic reasons, that is really the only major improvement I have seen in nearly 40 years. The old Whites is a real wrist breaker, and weighs about 8000 lbs. It probably has nothing to do with getting old I'm sure.  Wink

Recommending a unit for someone else is difficult, there are so many specialized units available today. If you are looking for a good all around coin shooter/ relic hunter type unit, I have been eyeballing the Minelab Musketeer with a double D coil. Most of the reviews say it has depth that equals or surpasses higher end units, yet is simple to operate. I have tried some of the target ID, program types, and they were more hassle than they were worth to me. Too much playing and fussing with a unit takes all the fun out of it. When it came down to it, my old unit told me as much or more in less time, because I knew it so well. I would like to field test either the Musketeer, Sovereign or Quattro before buying, if possible. But I am in no flaming rush to get something new, as the old Whites still works perfectly.There's a fine line between a hobby and a mental illness and I really shouldn't acquire another one but this is something I've always wanted to do.

Have you ever used aerial photos?  I've seen some taken with infrared film and ground that has been disturbed holds and loses heat differently than undisturbed ground, and shows up in the photos.  It probably would only work well in open country.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/process_infrared.html

Now you are talking about something I have felt for a long time is going to revolutionize archaeology and treasure hunting. Aerial infrared imaging and identification. The technology is there, it just needs to be configured for the specialty use. Penetration and identification will be incredible. It is used in top secret satellites for other purposes, and I hope it will soon be available commercially. This is my dream.

- Bart

Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 04:21:46 AM »

Aerial IF photography
It is a technique that has been used in British archaeology for many decades. We are presently looking at using this method in our own projects.

When we are able to, we will report further on this.

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:10 AM »

Years ago when I lived in Manassas, Virginia, a co-worker, passing through from overseas, spent the weekend with us.  Not a real high tech guy but he had been an artillery officer in Vietnam.  After a few beers he stood atop the ridge my house was on and declared that it had been an artillery position used to cover the ford of the Occoquan River below during the civil war.  The old Davis Ford, less than a mile away and visible had the trees not been there, is just upstream of the confluence of the Occoquan and Bull Run.  When I asked if my home brewed concoction had caused visions, he explained that Thomas Jackson had taught artillery at VMI and this had been part of Stonewall's TAOR (Tactical Area of Responsibility).  He had studied Jackson, and this would have been a prime location for a battery.

A couple of days later (plus an hour's worth of Cessna rental and an expensive roll of film and developing) he showed me shadowy pictures of my neighborhood with star shaped revetments all along the ridge.  He took his metal detector and came back with the bones of a horse's foot, with shoe and the chain from chain shot, and a few musket balls.  I was duly impressed.

It wasn't a high tech operation and seems like it would be effective in any area not totally forrested.           

Regards,

Barry
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 01:45:43 PM »

Forested shouldn't matter all that much, you could do just as well if the leaf canopy were gone, like during spring or winter, without snow.

- Bart

Sovereign
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »

Baja Bush Pilot:
A wonderful story and a good illustration of what can be achieved.

Aerial Infrared Photography
Explanation
Infrared photography uses film sensitive to light with wavelengths slightly longer than are visible to the naked eye. This shift, when processed, will cause a "false image", where objects normally red appear green and green objects appear blue. The advantage of this method, is that objects that give off heat will appear red, including vegetation.

History
Infrared film was first developed in 1903 and by the 1930's the film system was enhanced for use in landform studies and other research. By the 1940's, the military had made advancements to the film as an enhanced way of detecting camouflaged enemy locations, but eventually gave up on the film when infrared blocking paint was developed.

Uses in Archaeology
Buried archaeological site features will cause slight changes in ground vegetation, by hindering growth and by blocking ground water or the natural movement of the soil. Infrared film's ability to detect the heat signature given off by vegetation makes it possible to see this effect, even though it may not be visible at all from the ground. Features that will disturb vegetation growth can be anything from buried buildings, burial mounds , and well-packed walking paths to fire hearths.

Cost
Infrared film can be used in a normal camera, so the only cost of the pictures is a slightly more expensive film and the cost to get your camera airborne to take the pictures.
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 08:24:38 PM »

I believe we are about to see here just what can be achieved with IR.  Wink

I see green in your photo, but little or no red or blue. Can you give some explanation of the pic? I presume the white haze is reflection from the airplane's door window, through which you (?) took the pic.

- Bart

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »

I thought I would expand on one of my ideas referred to earlier. See Tips and Tricks.  For someone who cannot find a place to detect, this idea will provide more places to detect than could possibly be searched in a lifetime. No one should ever be at a loss for a place to hunt with this information, ever. It should also work in most every other state and many countries. The big rule of thumb here is to know the laws regarding navigable waters for your state or country, as relating to where you want to detect. I have read many books by the pros on where to detect, and have never seen anyone mention the concept put forth here.

It will require some equipment different from land hunting, but the rewards will pay off in the returns. Most of these beaches/shores are 'virgin', never been hunted, and the finds will be as good or better than most land sites. Old lures can be quite valuable if found in good condition, coins, jewelry, and probably anything else you can think of will be found. Wisconsin has  14,927 lakes, more than 1500 trout streams consisting of about 8800 miles, and many have public and/or private beaches, and all have shoreline. I don't ever want to hear someone ask me "Where can I go metal detecting?" again. I would love to hear some experiences of those who take this concept and run with it though.

Some of the best places to detect will be the old beaches, abandoned or no longer in use. How do you go about locating them? Here is one easy way, and no doubt there are many other ways. As an example, I started my search today on Ebay, using "Wisconsin beach postcards" as my search query. It returned five entries which I listed below, with my comments on each. Good luck and good hunting. Different cards are listed every week, sometimes every day, and you don't need to buy them. It is great for finding where the old beaches were. Grin

- Bart

1. WI SHAWANO WISCONSIN 2 1940's Postcards BEACH BLDG LAKE

It should be easy to find this location using the geographical features of the photo. And I love the supersize option provided in the advert. To me, the building shown in the photo indicates this is a park, and probably still is. If I were to consider hunting this place, I would copy and save the photos and ad description, and then do my research.

2. South Beach, Racine Wisconsin, Postcard Sent 1909

Another scene with landmarks that should be fairly easy to identify today. It is obvious to me that this is a scene along the shore of Lake Michigan, and if it is no longer used as a beach, it would be well worth locating it.

3. North Beach-Shawano Lake-Shawano Wisconsin Postcard

A view of homes along the north shore of Lake Shawano, easy to locate. It pays to know laws regarding public waters in your state. In Wisconsin, you can travel in or on any public waterway without having to get permission of any landowner. As the term states, they are land owners, and not water owners. Just stay in the water, and be prepared with the proper equipment. I would use either a canoe or an innertube with milk crates attached to it for holding my equipment out of the water. In this manner, I would be able to search any lake, river or navigable stream in the state without having to ask anyone's permission. Most have public access for launching watercraft or entering the water if you aren't using a boat. Navigable means any body of water than can float a craft. Today, there are many different types of personal watercraft. A small one or two man rubber raft need not be licensed as a fishing boat or canoe. The options of how you want to be in the water are numerous and varied. Find what works for you.

4. SCHWAGER BEACH GOLDEN LAKE WISCONSIN SULLIVAN POSTCARD

A 1911 litho/ photo of an identified beach, easily located.

5. J-12 Birch Beach Old Jumbo Postcard Phillips, Wisconsin

A shoreline view of a named lake, no problem finding this one.

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2007, 08:08:14 AM »

For those desiring legal citation for my contentions in the above post, I provide the following data;

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/fhp/fish/faq/access.htm

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/statutes/Stat0030.pdf

Since 1787, when the Northwest Ordinance was adopted to govern the Wisconsin Territory, the State's navigable waterways have been considered public - for the use of all citizens. Article IX of Wisconsin's Constitution provides that navigable waters are held in trust, and "forever free."

Navigability

Navigability determines whether a water is public or private. Navigable streams are public waters. Because navigable waters are public, they may be used for fishing, provided public access is available, or you have permission of the landowner to cross their property to reach the water.

Effective September 1, 2001, people using these waterways will, for the most part, have to return to the old "keep your feet wet" test, as created by the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

The "Old Law', Not Currently In Effect

" Members of the public may use any exposed shore area of a stream without the permission of the riparian (i.e., landowner) only if it is necessary to exit the body of water to bypass an obstruction. In addition, a member of the public may not enter the exposed shore area except: from the water, from a point of public access on the stream, or with the permission of the riparian (i.e., landowner).

Obstructions could consist of trees or rocks, shallow water for boaters or deep water for wading trout anglers. The bypass can involve areas up to the ordinary high water mark and should be by the shortest possible route. "

Use of navigable waterways in Wisconsin does not begin and end with fishing and boating regulations. Use is defined as " water related recreational activities ", and no specific regulation prohibits metal detecting in Wisconsin waters.

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:05:05 AM »

Aerial archaeology

The advantages of gaining a good aerial view of the ground had been long appreciated by archaeologists as a high viewpoint permits a better appreciation of fine details and their relationships within the wider site context. Early investigators attempted to gain birdseye views of sites using hot air balloons, scaffolds or cameras attached to kites. Following the invention of the aeroplane and the military importance placed on aerial photography during the First and Second World Wars, archaeologists were able to more effectively use the technique to discover and record archaeological sites.

Normally the photographs are taken vertically that is, from directly overhead, or obliquely, meaning that they are taken at an angle. In order to provide a three-dimensional effect, an additional, slightly offset, photo may be taken to provide two images with can be viewed stereoscopically.

The advantages of an aerial photographs to archaeologists are manifold.

Large sites could for the first time be viewed accurately, in their entirety and within their landscape. This aided the production of drawn plans and also inspired archaeologists to look beyond the discrete monument and to appreciate a site's role within its setting. Photos are taken vertically for the purposes of planning and spatial analysis and obliquely to emphasize certain features or give perspective. Through the process of photogrammetry, vertical photos can be converted into scaled plans.

Archaeological features may also be more visible from the air than on the ground. Tiny differences in ground conditions caused by buried features can be emphasised by a number of factors and then viewed from the air:

Slight differences in ground levels will cast shadows when the sun is low and these can be seen best from an aeroplane. These are referred to as shadow marks.

Buried ditches will hold more water and buried walls will hold less water than undisturbed ground, this phenomenon, amongst others, causes crops to grow better or worse, taller or shorter, over each kind of ground and therefore define buried features and cast shadows. Such effects are called cropmarks.

Frost can also appear in winter on ploughed fields where water has naturally accumulated along the lines of buried features. These are known as frostmarks.

Slight differences in soil colour between natural deposits and archaeological ones can also often show in ploughed fields as soilmarks.

Differences in levels and buried features will also affect the way surface water behaves across a site and can produce a striking effect after heavy rain.
In cases like the Nazca lines, the features are meaningless from the ground but easily visible from the air.

Pioneers of aerial archaeology include Roger Agache in Northern France, Antoine Poidebard in Syria and O. G. S. Crawford in England.

[edit] See also

Archaeological field survey
Cropmark
Shadow marks

External links

Aerial Archaeology. AerialArchaeology.com focuses heavily on near-earth imaging technologies such as kite aerial photography, remote-control powered parachutes, balloons, and model airplanes and helicopters.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_archaeology"

Categories: Archaeological sub-disciplines | Methods and principles in archaeology

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerial_archaeology

Quantrill33
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 04:51:32 AM »

Lots of good information. 

Thanks
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: