Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: 2.375 Ounces of Beauties  (Read 409 times)
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:42:00 AM »

I am happy Happy Camper. History Hunters is back and running and I have gold to show off. These three beauties are the latest MXT finds with a 14 in. Double D coil. "More Depth". Good ole California Gold.
Grubby

* IMG_0001.JPG (13.82 KB, 320x240 - viewed 70 times.)

Ole.Grubstake the Gold Getter
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:28:49 AM »

Way to go Grubby! Too bad turquoise and gold necklaces aren't in style anymore (like back in the 80's), you would have a dandy. I recall you mentioned at least one other detector you used. Have you ever tried out a Minelab?

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Solomon
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:33:47 AM »

Very nice. You seem to do everything right.
Well done!

Solomon
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:16:22 PM »

Hi Bart===========Minelabs?Huh? What are those? Don't get me started on them. lol No I won't use one of them. Will post a little later about my Minelab experiences. Shhhheeeeeze! I am fierecely loyal to Whites. I'll explain that later also. Whites is coming out with a new PI unit that will dust the Minelab this fall. Although I have been out with as many as three Minelabusers at a time and dusted them with my Whites. Can't see why people would pay as much as $4,000.00 for a detector and have some one like me with a $800.00 detector absolutely blow them away when it comes to finding gold. Ooooops! I said I'd post hsi stuff later. To much coffee this morning.
Grubby

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »

Hi Grubby;

I look forward to hearing your experiences. I bought my White's 66TR/Disc in 1969, still use it as my primary. It has gotten heavier with age, it's age, not mine,  Grinso I am considering something new. The Minelab Musketeer seems to have some good reviews, and for my purposes would be suitable. You gotta go with what works for you, and for you it's White's for gold. Maybe I will wait for the new White's you mentioned.

Bart

ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 06:03:05 PM »

Hi bart-Gads you need to update. lol I have a 66 just given to me by a guy and I plan to do an article comparing the old technology with the new. I will take the old unit out and cover a certain area and then run over it with either the GMT or MXT that I use now. The old machine is sooooooooo heavy. Plus the digital world of the new detectors is so much nicer than the old analogy technology. The new units go so much deeper and they are incredibly more sensitive. Happy hunting and of course I will be keeping ya'll informed.

* Claim Gold cover.jpg (174.46 KB, 800x586 - viewed 6 times.)

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 06:38:41 PM »

Please post anything you think might help in my decision re a detector.  The only Musketeers I can find now come with a 'Pro' package that includes a lot of stuff I'm not sure I need for a 1st detector, and adds a couple of hundred dollars to the price.  Any pros and cons will be appreciated.  If I was as old as you guys I'd worry about the weight but... 

OK.  Weight counts.

Regards,

Barry
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 06:49:01 PM »

Hey Bushy--------Give me an idea what you will be detecting for?HuhHuhI will give my 2 cents worth when I know what it is you would like to do?
Grubby

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »

Not for gold, at least at first, although I live upstream of what was a large strike in the 1800s.  Mostly following the old stage routes, horse trails and roads in the San Diego back country.  Relics of whatever sort, old coins, jewelry, etc.  I guess it's hard to say because I don't know what's there.

Regards,

Barry
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 07:02:48 PM »

Look into the Whites MXT. It is a versatile detector that is easy to run and has three great programs. I like the price and it has found a lot of everything for me. You can read reviews about it and I am sure you will be impressed.
Grubby

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 07:07:10 PM »

I will.  Thank you.

Regards,

Barry
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

Hey Grubby;

"I will take the old unit out and cover a certain area and then run over it with either the GMT or MXT that I use now. " That will be very interesting and very specific to my situation. I have found Indianhead cents at 9' with my Whites, I believe much of that depth was due to the halo effect though. The ground was quite green around them, to the size of a silver dollar. But still, that is a good depth. No hurry on your test, I am not going to decide about a new unit until I use the 66 at an old virgin beach shore/swimming hole this spring. Ideally I would like to take a new unit in behind the 66 and see exactly what it comes up with. That would be a convincing field test.

I had run the 66 against a new White's a few years ago, a target ID unit, not sure what model, and it seemed to me that it did just as well, I couldn't tell any difference. The fussing with the buttons, changing the program to check a target, and all that sort of thing seemed an unnecessary waste of time to me. Thirty years of ads promising 'greater depth' each year have left me a bit skeptical of that claim, to say the least. I owned a Technetics for a while, but dumped it as fast as possible and went back to the White's. Even a Bounty Hunter with a two foot coil was less productive. Digital is certainly better, and lighter, and the 66 is 'heavy' as you say. The box is metal, and over a foot long, and the handle is the most ungodly uncomfortable wrist breaker around. Lots of good reasons to upgrade. I am sure I won't regret it.

Do you agree that multiple frequencies are better than single frequency units? Can it really make much difference?

- Bart

ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 04:47:12 PM »

I believe the multiple frequency's do give more sensitivity and also give the ability to identify what's down in the ground. The DFX is a good example of this dual frequency application. I know minelab uses something like 20 some frequency's, but I do not see the advantage of so many frequency's. But I am not an engineer or a high techi. LOL I like a turn on a go machine. I do not even tweak the machines I use. I figure the engineers who designs these units have a better insight into the electronic gig than I do. I want to turn on a machine have it ground balance and off I go. Of course the type of frequency determines how sensitive the machine will be. Good luck and find the big one or old one as it may be.
Grubby

LaBelleRiviere
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:07:21 AM »

That's a very impressive trio there. A big Atta Boy. Hope to find one of those in AK this summer.

I have two MXT's and also recommend it highly as a do-all machine.

Keep it up
Kevin
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: