Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Preserving Our Heritage - Chaco Canyon, Nine Mile Canyon, Agua Fria, etc  (Read 232 times)
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2007, 09:46:19 PM »

A Past Worth Preserving

By RICHARD MOE
Published: March 31, 2007

Chaco Canyon, N.M.

THIS May the nation celebrates the 400th anniversary of the founding of Jamestown as the first permanent English settlement in America. It was a consequential event in 1607, to be sure, but we shouldn?t confuse it with the beginning of the American experience.

For thousands of years before the first Europeans arrived, there were people on this continent who represented highly developed civilizations and who were proficient in art, architecture, agriculture and astronomy. These were the first Americans, and their story is also part of our common heritage.

The most significant evidence of this legacy is here at Chaco Canyon, in the remote desert of northwestern New Mexico, where Native Americans a thousand years ago built a huge complex of great houses, pueblos of exquisite stonework whose rooms sometimes numbered in the hundreds. They built roads that were as wide as 30 feet and extended up to 60 miles to ease trade, ritual and communication. They created, in effect, an empire.

Chaco Canyon today is a collection of magnificent ruins whose archeology tells us as much as we know, which is not enough, about these mysterious people. A unit of the National Park Service, the canyon is as well preserved and interpreted as an underfinanced budget allows. Unfortunately, other significant archeological sites nearby are increasingly at great risk. Most of these are also on public lands, largely those of the Bureau of Land Management, which has a bifurcated and inherently conflicted mission to both preserve and exploit the resources entrusted to it. With ever increasing pressure for oil and gas drilling on these lands, coupled with greater access by off-road vehicles that can go nearly anywhere and when unmanaged can do great harm, more and more of our heritage on these lands is in danger of being obliterated.

Utah?s Nine Mile Canyon, known as the world?s longest art gallery because it contains more than 10,000 petroglyphs, could soon be home to nearly 2,000 oil and gas wells. With them will come hundreds of miles of pipeline, compressor stations, new roads and hundreds of heavy trucks whose vibrations and dust can cause irreversible damage to ancient rock art.

Agua Fria National Monument in Arizona, abundant in archeological sites, is attracting growing numbers of visitors from nearby Phoenix seeking recreation, too many of them unfortunately in off-road vehicles. From 2000 to 2004, their number increased fivefold. In spite of the growth in visitors, which increases the threat of looting and vandalism, there is still only one ranger to protect the monument.

Similarly affected by these vehicles is Gold Butte, near Las Vegas. A recent study by volunteers monitoring vandalism at Gold Butte showed a 366 percent increase in major damage to cultural sites in the area from 2004 to 2005, including numerous incidents of graffiti and bullet holes in petroglyph panels. The same sad story is too familiar elsewhere.

More federal financing is needed to protect these places and to survey archeological sites. Only about 6 percent of Bureau of Land Management lands have been surveyed. And we can?t protect these sites if we don?t know where they are. While much of this land is generating huge oil and gas revenue, some reasonable share of that revenue should be returned to care for these sites.

Over the years, Congress and the president have protected a number of sites by designating them national monuments, wilderness and conservation areas, historic trails and wild and scenic rivers. The most important of these sites ? the ?crown jewels? of the sites under the Bureau of Land Management ? have been included in the National Landscape Conservation System to highlight their scientific, educational, cultural and ecological values. Unfortunately, this system has no official statutory basis and can be eliminated at the whim of the interior secretary. Congress needs to make this conservation system permanent and provide money to protect these priceless sites for future generations.

What is needed most urgently, however, is an appreciation by the American people that these pueblos and panels of rock art are not only places considered sacred by many living Native Americans but also that they are part of the American experience, and thus part of our shared history.
   Richard Moe is the president of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/31/opinion/31moe.html

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
djui5
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

Doing what I love

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:24:18 PM »

This stuff drives me crazy Bart, people have no respect for our past. Angry

Randy Wright
Recording/Mix Engineer
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:15:33 AM »

While there does need to be some balance between the needs of the living and future generations, and an appreciation/preservation for our heritage, it has long been known that not enough is being done in either case. With the Federal finger in the education racket in this country, more could be done in education with some direction from them. Too many think that any and all change needs more money to implement it, but that is just not so. So much is money is already wasted. What is or is not being done is what they want and what we are allowing. One way to get change is to unite factions and scream long and loud until something is done. It is difficult, but it works often enough.

The best change that could take place is that the laws be changed to set aside money to be specifically used for security. that might work for a while, but with the track record of public servants who have itchy fingers for any money just sitting there is a problem. Another possible change is that a certain amount of the current budget be used for specific and real security at important sites. In theory, either should work well, but the human factor too often gets in the way with implementation.

If they really wanted something done, they would most certainly do it. Until then, we can all bemoan the current situation until we are blue in the face. Here is a situation that really bugs me.  AngryRange Creek This is bureaucratic incompetence at it's most idiotic. A unique, pristine jewel is acquired with little or no foresight, allowed to be looted, and all we hear is whining and hand wringing after the damage is done. Acquisition should never have taken place without proper preparation and provision for security of the place. That is what I mean about changing the law and making security a requirement.

Were I to acquire a mansion filled with anything of value, and left the doors open and the place unguarded, I would have no recourse when everything of value disappeared and the place burned to the ground. How is this any different? Where is the common sense? Like children, even worse in a lot of cases, bureaucrats need to be watched over like two year olds.

I seem to be in a blaming mood tonight, and if there is an easy and permanent solution here, it just isn't coming to me. Doing our best and accepting things as they are is never good enough for me. If I am not part of the solution, I am part of the problem. And there are way too many problems out there for me to take on.

- Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: