Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Please Support Us!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $40.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Gross Amount: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.58
Net Balance: $23.42
Below Goal: $16.58

©
59% 
November Donations
7th Anonymous $20.00
5th Anonymous $5.00
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: They Walk Among Us  (Read 282 times)
Description: They walk among us
MissionPossible
« on: April 15, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »

I walked into a Blimpie's with a buy-one-get-one-free coupon for a sandwich. I handed it to the girl and she looked over at a little chalkboard that said "buy one- get one free". "They're already buy-one-get-one-free", she said, "so I guess they're both free". She handed me my free sandwiches and I walked out the door.

They walk among us, and many work retail.

===================

One day I was walking down the beach with some friends when one of them shouted, "Look at that dead bird!" Someone looked up at the sky and said, "Where?"

They walk among us!

====================

While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate agent which direction was north because, he explained, he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning. She asked, "Does the sun rise in the north?" When my brother explained that the sun rises in the east, and has for sometime, she shook her head and said, "Oh, I don't keep up with that stuff."

They walk among us!!

====================

I used to work in technical support for a 24/7 call center. One day I got a call from an individual who asked what hours the call center was open. I told him, "The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?" Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Uh, Pacific."

They walk among us!

====================

My sister has a life-saving tool in her car designed to cut through a seat belt if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the trunk.

They walk among Us!

====================

My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we bought 2 cases. The cashier multiplied 2 times 10% and gave us a 20% discount.

They walk among us!

====================

I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area, so I went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to worry because she was a trained professional and I was in good hands. "Now," she asked me, "has your plane arrived yet?"

They walk among us!

====================

While working at a pizza parlor I observed a man ordering a small pizza to go. He appeared to be alone and the cook asked him if he would like it cut into 4 pieces or 6. He thought about it for some time before responding. "Just cut it into 4 pieces; I don't think I'm hungry enough to eat 6 pieces."

Yep, they walk among us!

====================

They walk among us, AND they reproduce AND they vote!!!!!
Solomon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 08:49:15 PM »

At the 1994 annual awards dinner given for Forensic Science, AAFS, President Dr. Don Harper Mills astounded his audience with the legal complications of a bizarre death. Here is the story:

On March 23,1994 the medical examiner viewed the body of Ronald Opus and concluded that he died from a shotgun wound to the head. Mr. Opus had jumped from the top of a ten story building intending to commit suicide. He left a note to that effect, indicating his despondency. As he fell past the ninth floor his life was interrupted by a shotgun blast passing through a window which killed him instantly.

Neither the shooter nor the descender was aware that a safety net had been installed just below at the eighth floor level to protect some building workers and that Ronald Opus would not have been able to complete his suicide the way he had planned.

"Ordinarily," Dr. Mills continued, "a person who sets out to commit suicide and ultimately succeeds, even though the mechanism might not be what he intended, is still defined as committing suicide."

That Mr. Opus was shot on the way to certain death, but probably would not have been successful because of the safety net, caused the medical examiner to feel that he had a homicide on his hands. The room on the ninth floor, whence the shotgun blast emanated, was occupied by an elderly man and his wife. They were arguing vigorously and he was threatening her with a shotgun. The man was so upset that when he pulled the trigger he completely missed his wife and the pellets went through the window, striking Mr. Opus.

When one intends to kill subject A but kills subject B in the attempt, one is guilty of the murder of subject B. When confronted with the murder charge the old man and his wife were both adamant. They both said they thought the shotgun was unloaded. The old man said it was his long-standing habit to threaten his wife with the unloaded shotgun. He had no intention to murder her. Therefore the killing of Mr. Opus appeared to be an accident; that is, the gun had been accidentally loaded.

The continuing investigation turned up a witness who saw the old couple's son loading the shotgun about six weeks prior to the fatal accident. It transpired that the old lady had cut off her son's financial support and the son, knowing the propensity of his father to use the shotgun threateningly, loaded the gun with the expectation that his father would shoot his mother. The case now becomes one of murder on the part of the son for the death of Ronald Opus.

Now comes the exquisite twist. Further investigation revealed that the son was, in fact, Ronald Opus. He had become increasingly despondent over the failure of his attempt to engineer his mother's murder. This led him to jump off the ten story building on March 23rd, only to be killed by a shotgun blast passing through the ninth story window. The son had actually murdered himself so the medical examiner closed the case as a suicide.
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 12:23:56 PM »

True story, personal experience.

I sold insurance for a short term some years back, and one of the first assignments I received was to pay a death claim. I went to the home of the deceased man's father and knocked on the back door. He saw me through the screen door and said 'I know who you are, come on in." I offered my sympathies and he invited me to sit down and share a cup of coffee with him.

I will never forget the story he told me of how his 24 year old son had died. His son had just finished college, and his dream was to travel around the country as the hobo's did years ago, and then write a book about his adventures. He prepared for almost two years in advance of his departure.  He bought the best sleeping bag, back pack, and everything else money could buy. He took along several hundred dollars in travel checks, for necessities along the way, much unlike the hob's were able to do.

Just days out of school, he said his goodbye's to family and friends, and hitch-hiked over to St. Paul Minnesota and found the train yard where he planned to start his adventure. After dark, he made his way onto a rail car and hopped into his sleeping bag for the first night of the great adventure of his life.

Unfortunately, the rest of his life didn't last but a few more hours. He had made his bed in a car load of lumber, in the small space between the end-wall of the car and the stack of lumber. Along about midnight, the engine backed up to couple the string of lumber cars, which shifted the load of lumber, squashing the man to death. They found him three days later when the lumber was unloaded.

A tragic end to a very bright, well educated young man with zero common sense. Too bad, I would have liked to have read his book. The parents, divorced, and both high school teachers, split the $5,000.00 death benefit. Weeks later, I found other employment.

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 04:58:44 PM »

I guess these posts are somewhere along the line of following the comedy act of "Here's Your sign" Humor." Do not see what this has to do with this outstanding forums agenda or goals.
Grubby

Ole.Grubstake the Gold Getter
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:03 PM »

That is true Grubby. For me, a pause and reflection on a bit of odd or humorous clears the mind and resets the gray matter for another run at the target.

Part of it was also a lesson, and a reminder, to think ahead a bit whilst about your business. One seemingly small and unimportant decision can have some very serious consequences.

Bart

Fleamistress
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

"How Kind of you to Have me here."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 07:15:23 AM »

I'm glad this was brought up.  What exactly is the forum objective?  It does seem dry, and I think users might be too intimidated to post, but then maybe the layman isn't welcome here and that's okay too.

Clarification please?

"Friend of any brave and galant outlaw."
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 06:05:52 PM »

The forum objective is 'Revealing the Treasures of History'. The Coffee Shop is
for general chat and OT, (off topic) subjects. Everyone is welcome here, to join in discussions or not, as they prefer. We try to make a somewhat dry topic as interesting as possible. I believe everyone has something to contribute, whether they believe it or not, and we can all learn from each other.

As for myself, I am a layman, and I have never bee too intimidated to post. Looking back at some of my early posts, I see how ignorant I was was in some areas, and still am. But I enjoy learning, and this is, for me, a great way to learn. No one is perfect, and no one knows it all. I would hope that no one need feel intimidated here, we try to treat all equally and respectfully, and help each other if possible. Perhaps the intimidation factor comes from experience on other forums, and the negative and personal affronts are all too common.

Bart

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: