Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Please Support Us!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $40.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Gross Amount: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.58
Net Balance: $23.42
Below Goal: $16.58

©
59% 
November Donations
7th Anonymous $20.00
5th Anonymous $5.00
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sherman: Moral Hero?  (Read 386 times)
Description: "'Just' War Theory"--credits in text
Fleamistress
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

"How Kind of you to Have me here."

View Profile
« on: July 26, 2007, 07:08:43 AM »

�Just War Theory� vs. American Self-Defense
Spring 2006 Vol. 1, No. 1
Yaron Brook and Alex Epstein

Authors� Note: This essay is partially based on a lecture, �The Morality of War,� delivered by Yaron Brook at numerous venues across the country including the 2004 Objectivist Summer Conference.

[Note by Admin: I have edited this post for a number of reasons - one is that it was immensely long, another being that it is less about history and more about politics. It was not linked to in this post, which it should have been. Lastly, now I have linked the title to the original piece, the full text is not needed here.]

"Friend of any brave and galant outlaw."
Fleamistress
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »

http://www.theobjectivestandard.com/issues/2006-spring/just-war-theory.asp

Anybody care to pick up my cut n paste, Bart? Cheesy  I lost my place.

(I do like yellow in 14 pt.)  Kiss

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »

Hi Cyn,

I had the same trouble yesterday when posting. I found that the only way to correct it was to post a small piece of the message, and then return under 'modify', and paste segments of about 20 paragraphs at a time into the message body. Not sure what is causing the problem except maybe a limit on size, perhaps admin could address this. Like you, I found it very odd that I could not find my place, it seemed as if an entirely different article had been 'over-pasted' or something.

Bart

[Note by Admin: I have removed the copy of the above piece.]

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Fleamistress
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 07:31:33 PM »

Thanks, Bart.  I know that was work! 

Space limit does make sense.  Imagine if somebody uploaded "War and Peace" or the like.

Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 07:51:02 PM »

Thanks, Bart.  I know that was work! 

Space limit does make sense.  Imagine if somebody uploaded "War and Peace" or the like.
Ah, now that we could do. If you look at the left index, you will see it lists Articles. Some of these are full books. This is the correct place for lengthy pieces, rather than the forum. If anyone needs help with this, PM me.

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

Thank you Admin, you are always 'Johnny on the spot'. Here is the link for submitting articles (submit article). I must admit, that link has been quite elusive for me, it is now in a prominent place where I can see it though. I intend to use it.

Does that help you out Cyn? I am glad you are not afraid to ask, I believe we will all enjoy your input and participation here. Bon chance!

Bart

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »

I read most of that article, and wish to add my two denarii to the comments...

While the authors suggest a specific solution to the Muslim religion problem in the world today, there are probably several solutions besides the one they recommend, which seemed to me to be basically war. While war is probably the the only thing that will mitigate the Muslim religion problem today, it need not have come to this point. Of course, hindsight is always well in focus, I believe there was and still may well be another solution. Oil is what seems to feed the folks behind the religion, without the oil money, they would for the most part only be able to threaten the world with rocks and clubs, and be ignored for doing so.

Had we spent some of the war/terrorism/oil money on solar research, we would be much closer, if not out of the woods altogether, to ending our dependence upon oil. It may be what we will eventually be forced to do anyway, yet little enough seems to be done in that area yet today. For whatever the reasons, war appears to be inevitable. It remains to be seen whether the west will be willing to finish the war, or be annihilated one piece at a time because they are afraid to use superior weapons.

Just last night at an on line poker table, a Muslim man proudly pronounced that they were repopulating the world. He had a good point there, and it ought to be a concern. If it comes to submitting to Islam or fighting, I believe they will be surprised at what the west will do.

Bart

Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 04:16:48 AM »

Thank you, Admin.  You solved more than one prob.

Regards,

Barry
Gollum
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

Heart on the Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 07:05:01 AM »

Hey Flea,

Glad to see you over here. After reading the link, this post would probably fit better in the "Coffee Shop" area (since we don't have a Political Section).

It isn't going to be removed, just moved to a more appropriate area of of the website.

Best,

Mike

"NIMIAST MISERIA NIMIS PULCHRUM ESSE HOMINEM" - Plautus Miles Gloriosus (How unbearably tiresome it is to be too handsome!)
Fleamistress
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 08:51:31 PM »

Hey Flea,

Glad to see you over here. After reading the link, this post would probably fit better in the "Coffee Shop" area (since we don't have a Political Section).

It isn't going to be removed, just moved to a more appropriate area of of the website.

Best,

Mike

So where did it go?  We worked so hard!

I think it is history, or that history will show that it's history.

Anyway, Bart, what poker site.  I love poker and I'd be happy to to take everything you have!

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 08:59:19 PM »

The thread got moved to the Coffee Shop.

I play at glitchy old Party Poker, and have 35 mil in play chips, not a chance in h you can take much from me. Wink
Pm me with your nic once you get signed up, have lotsa practice at Holdem, and think you can drink me under the table.  Cheesy

Bart

Tags: Civil War  Military Theory  Iraq 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: