Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Flint stones  (Read 342 times)
bahamawrecker
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »

Has anybody seen flint stones of this type before?
Bahamawrecker

* Flint-stones-for-web.jpg (27.67 KB, 400x210 - viewed 56 times.)
Jesus of Lubeck
Super Moderator
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 08:08:27 PM »

Hello Bahamawrecker,

I have seen a flint knife of this type displayed as part of the collection of the Powsyland Museum in Wales.  I believe your artifacts may be neolithic or chalcolithic (although in the Welsh area, worked flint tools also seem to be found in early bronze age horizons).  If your find is of British provenance,  you may have an interesting site on your hands.  In Wales only two such circular flint knives have been found.  Here is the address for the Powsyland Museum as well as a Welsh website with a photo of a circular flint knife  similar in many aspects with your specimens.  Also, take a look at the The Breach Farm Burial Assemblage found at Llanblethian.  Keep a sharp eye out for any additions to your very interesting assemblage.  I wish you well, thank you for posting this very nice find - congratulations!

Powsyland Museum
Canal Wharf
Welshpool
Powys
SY21 7AQ

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/subjects/4534

Best Regards,

Lubby

Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian. (Herman Melville)
Bart
Platinum Member

OnlineOnline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »

As Lubby noted, there are very few circular flint knives extant.

Bart

This item comes from: Powysland Museum & Montgomery Canal Centre (Item reference: A133) Circular flint knife, found at Trefeglwys. Only two examples have been recorded within Wales.

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 03:09:36 AM »

How would one use such a knife without injuring one's self?

Regards,

Barry
Jesus of Lubeck
Super Moderator
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 04:06:43 AM »

Yes Baja bush pilot, how this artifact was put to use in its day-to-day context would be very interesting to know.  What also has my attention is the fact that this, to all expectations, terrestrial artifact is posted in the maritime archaeology forum.  Is this an artifact from a submerged site, or does this indicate something else about the artifact's context?

Best Regards,

Lubby

Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunken Christian. (Herman Melville)
Bart
Platinum Member

OnlineOnline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 07:37:12 AM »

I would imagine you could use it with a piece of leather or wood to protect yourself from injury, assuming it was made to be used as some sort of scraper or knife. I am unsure whether it's exact use has been determined. If the bottom is flat, and the top is conical/dome shaped (more or less), I tend to think it served other use than as a knife. It is diificult to get it's shape from the pics. It seems to me that the shape makes it somewhat impractical for use as a knife.

Perhaps thrown by hand at small birds/ animals, a missile for an atlatl type device? It appears to have some Frisbee type aspects. Shot for/from a sling? It would be a question I would put to an eperienced modern day flint knapper, quite possibly they would have an idea. It is also possible that anthropologists would have some insight on it's use.

It seems to be a very rare find, it would be nice to know more of the story.

Bart

bahamawrecker
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 07:38:08 PM »

Thanks for the replies,
I have to apologize, I should have given some more information.
The flint stones are from a batch found on the wreck of a Portuguese galleon that sank in the year 1700 on its way to East Africa. I believe these flint stones were replacement flints for the flint lock pistols and muskets.
The strange thing is that normally the flints of the fire weapons are rectangular and have only one usable side. When this edge is worn, the flint has to be changed.
The way I see it, with the round flints, when the edge is worn after so many times hitting the steel to light the powder, it can be turned a few degrees and has another sharp edge to fire many more shots.
Flint locks were used until the mid 19th century, so why did nobody use this invention?
Was it that the inventor died in the shipwreck together with his invention?
Bahamawrecker
Jesus of Lubeck
Super Moderator
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 08:00:34 PM »

Hello Bahamawrecker,

Thank you for the added context of these circular flints; clearly I may have entirely the wrong impression of their size.  What is the diameter of these flints - if I may ask.  Are they small enough to fit into the cock of a flintlock mechanism?  From your last post, if I understand correctly, you believe these flints were placed between the upper and lower jaw of the cock, protected by a small piece of leather, and secured by the locking screw.

Best Regards,

Lubby

Bart
Platinum Member

OnlineOnline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 09:40:16 PM »

Your explanation makes perfect sense when gun flints are brought into it. As far as why the type didn't catch on universally, it likely has to do with the 'it's always been done that way' syndrome. 

"Black British flints are highly thought of, today, and many shooters prefer them. However, archaeological digs have shown that no flints of that type were used during the French and Indian (Seven Years) war, that only 5% of that type were used in the American Revolution, and only 50% during the war of 1812. The main type used instead was the tan colored French flints, apparently the standard of the time. Today, either will work well. All those flints were made by knapping them from a large spall of flint. Also available today are sawed flints, cut from agate or other stone. "

Bart

bahamawrecker
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »

Sorry, I should know that the correct way to photograph an artifact is with a measure on the same picture.
Anyway, the diameter is about 1 inch for the small one and about 1"3/8.
I also found the usual rectangular type of flints of similar size as well as thousands of musket and pistol balls.
Bahamawrecker
Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2007, 03:20:11 AM »

Got it!  I was picturing a larger tool such as a scraper or knife.  Now it makes perfect sense.  Size does matter, I guess. Thank you.

Regards,

Barry
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: