Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Please Support Us!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $40.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Gross Amount: $25.00
PayPal Fees: $1.58
Net Balance: $23.42
Below Goal: $16.58

©
59% 
November Donations
7th Anonymous $20.00
5th Anonymous $5.00
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Mali relics recovered in France  (Read 379 times)
Description: 650 ancient artefacts smuggled from Mali
Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2007, 09:26:48 PM »

Some of the artefacts confiscated may be up to one million years old

French customs officials say they have seized more than 650 ancient artefacts smuggled from Mali in one of the largest such finds at a Paris airport.

Described as an "archaeological treasure", the objects were thought to be on their way to private US buyers.

Experts say most of the items are from the Neolithic period, but some may be up to one million years old.

The artefacts are thought to have been taken from archaeological sites on the edge of the Sahara desert.

The 669 items - 601 stones and 68 bracelets - were confiscated on 19 January at Charles de Gaulle airport and included axe heads, flintstones and stone rings.

Most of the artefacts date from a few thousand years BC. But others are from the Acheulean period, between one million years and 200,000 years old, and from the Middle Stone Age (200,000 years BC to 20,000 years BC).

The artefacts were shipped in nine parcels from the Malian capital, Bamako, which the accompanying paperwork described as handcrafted objects.

Customs officials look out for artefacts being exported from specific countries such as Mali which may be smuggled, a customs spokeswoman told the BBC News website.

If they have a doubt, they then seize the objects and have them assessed by experts to establish their age - in this case an expert from the Department of Prehistory at the Natural History Museum in Paris, she said.

Growing traffic

This type of traffic was unheard of a few years ago, an airport customs official told the AFP news agency.

"Since 2004 we have observed regular traffic in this kind of contraband. There is a big market and we are pretty sure that these items, which had been neatly sorted and were of very high quality, had been pre-sold," Eric Cailheton said.

French customs officials made two similarly large finds of archaeological items from Niger in March 2004 and December 2005.

The 2005 haul included more than 5,000 stone arrowheads and 90 carved stone artefacts, dating back 5,000 years.

The items were found in the baggage of a passenger who arrived on a flight from Niger's capital, Niamey.

Mali Culture
French report 1995:
Protection du patrimoine culturel de l?humanit? :
les douaniers de Fr?jorques saisissent
pr?s de mille objets arch?ologiques et ethnographiques maliens

Le 8 novembre 2005, les agents des douanes, charg?s des op?rations de d?douanement de l?a?roport
de Montpellier-M?diterran?e ? Fr?jorques (H?rault), ont d?couvert, dans le fret commercial, un tr?s
important lot de pi?ces arch?ologiques et artisanales originaires du Mali. Ce sont au total
953 pi?ces qui ont ?t? saisies sur la base de la Convention Internationale de l?Unesco, sign?e en 1970,
qui vise ? prot?ger le patrimoine culturel des pays signataires.

Le 4 novembre, deux personnes de nationalit? marocaine se sont pr?sent?es au service des douanes
pour effectuer les op?rations de d?douanement sur un chargement de 240 kg ? d?effets personnels ?
ayant effectu? un trajet Bamako-Montpellier. Etonn?s par la nature du chargement, qui semblait ?tre
constitu? d?objets arch?ologiques, les agents des douanes ont interrog? les importateurs, qui ont
d?clar? qu?il s?agissait de copies r?alis?es par des artisans maliens et destin?es ? ?tre offertes.

Les douaniers ont alors d?cid? de faire appel ? plusieurs experts universitaires en arch?ologie de la
r?gion, qui ont confirm? qu?une grande partie des marchandises est authentique, d?un int?r?t historique
certain et provient vraisemblablement de collectes illicites effectu?es dans plusieurs r?gions du Mali :

- une premier lot comporte des objets arch?ologiques repr?sentant plusieurs p?riodes depuis le
pal?olithique inf?rieur jusqu?aux environs du XVI?me si?cle de notre ?re : des bifaces, des pointes de
fl?ches, des haches polies, des pilons en gr?s. Le chargement comportait ?galement de tr?s
nombreuses perles en roches diverses ou en coquillages marins enfil?es r?cemment pour constituer
artificiellement des colliers destin?s ? la vente. Ils ont vraisemblablement ?t? pill?s sur des sites
arch?ologiques de ? la Boucle du Niger ? ;

- un second lot, class? par les experts comme appartenant au ? patrimoine ethnographique malien ?,
est compos? d?objets dont la datation s??chelonne sur une p?riode allant du premier mill?naire aux
XIX?me. Il comprend de nombreux bracelets en bronze et cuivre, plusieurs poteries, des pendentifs en
forme de clochettes et une paire de chevilli?res en bronze. S?agissant de ce dernier objet, les experts
ont soulign? son caract?re exceptionnel et sa qualit? remarquable. Ils l?attribuent ? la production
bronzi?re du premier mill?naire.

Seuls 162 objets de ce chargement ?taient de simples objets artisanaux sans valeur historique.

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 09:50:20 PM »

Admin,

What I find most confusing is this;
Since there can be no provenance how can the "buyers" hope to establish value??? These items will certainly not increase in value and cannot be sold except on the internet "black market" which we are currently monitoring. It certainly isn't a good investment and makes no sense to me at all. In this age of the internet the margin for profit for the middleman is rapidly shrinking and the risk of losing their 'investment' increasing just as rapidly. The profit margin for trafficking in stolen artifacts is shrinking as like-minded individuals have joined with us in endeavoring to put an end to this wholesale theft of history. I should add, perhaps, one of the reasons for the international attacks on our site, our efforts have been noted.
Doc

Solomon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 10:20:00 PM »

In my own, limited experience, intelligent, educated criminals work in suits, inhabit posh city buildings and generally get away with their crimes. I think that those involved in crimes like this are probably not very smart.

Providing a false provenance is probably not very difficult and this would ensure a good value. The buyers would have to be greedy - a common trait - and would accept the dubious provenance in return for a discount.

Even so, Doc, I agree with your premise: the market and profit margin must be shrinking.

When we hear how even the great auction houses are involved in such criminal enterprise, I shudder.

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »

Solomon,

If the penalties for engaging in this area of crime are increased perhaps the reputable auction houses will look to entities such as ours for independent verification of provenance. I feel that a big part of this is attending to the details and often the "Big Houses" rely on a small dealer for verification (who is serving his own interests and can always claim ignorance). If there was some way of putting a true value on this illegal market I feel that the funding of the international police agencies involved would be increased. Only by an increasing number of "interceptions' and identifications can the spotlight be turned on, then perhaps we shall see some improvement.
Cheers,
Doc

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 07:06:46 AM »

" If the penalties for engaging in this area of crime are increased..." - Doc

It isn't penalties, stiff penalties and fines are on the books. It isn't always enforcement, rhough we just gave an example of budget cuts that impact enforcement elsewhere here. Most often it is prosecution. Crimes of this type are viewed as ' white collar' and nigh onto victimless, therefore to be generally treated in a less severe manner. Increased interceptions will help, as  publicizing/ 'bad press' will also. Short of another govt beauracracywhere all art/antiquities are checked and distributed, it doesn't appear that things will change anytime soon. Below are several example of the problem, with results, sentences seem light or nonexistent. 

- Bart

- $6m art thief gets five years

Two men have been sentenced for the spectacular theft of nine famous German expressionist paintings estimated to be worth about 3.6 million euro ($6.49 million) from Berlin's Bruecke museum. He claimed he did not know who had damaged the Pechstein picture, saying he had been shocked by the action....   was jailed for five-and-a-half years, including time for a second burglary a few weeks later. A German of Yugoslav origin who admitted involvement in trying to sell the stolen works was given a suspended jail sentence of two years.

- Schiphol Airport Museum opens days after theft of Van Gogh works in Amsterdam

...theft of two Vincent van Gogh paintings in Amsterdam Saturday, a multimillion-dollar diamond heist last week from a museum in The Hague, and the theft of five important works from the Frans Hals museum in Haarlem in March

- Library director charged with selling copies of ancient book

The director of Romania's National Library was released Tuesday, a day after he was arrested on charges of illegally selling abroad copies of a precious 8th century book, defrauding the state of US$1.5 million. The European Union (news - web sites) and the United States have urged Romania to crack down on deeply rooted graft, which they say is undermining the economy. The average national monthly income is 4.3 million lei (US$ 130).

- Museums get tough on 'trophy' returns

A group of leading European and US museums have issued a declaration opposing the wholesale repatriation of cultural artifacts seized during imperial rule or by means now considered unethical.

- Keeping Cultural Heritage Out of Harm's Way

- Observations regarding the Van Gogh Theft (Jonathan Sazonoff)
Historically, thieves don't prosper by stealing such famous paintings from museums. All these historic heists happily ended with the safe recovery of the paintings involved.

FAMOUS SOLVED VAN GOGH HEISTS:

Rome's National Modern Art Gallery (1998)
Antwerp's Museum of Fine Art (1997)
Amsterdam's Van Gogh Museum (1991)
Netherlands' Noordbrabant Museum (1990)
Netherlands' Kroeller Mueller Museum (1988)
Amsterdam's Stedelijk Museum (1988)
Milan's Gallery of Modern Art (1975)

Each of these crimes can provide a fascinating case study about art theft and recovery, but enough from our television production notes. For those interested in "hot" Van Gogh's here is our current list of missing works. http://www.saztv.com/page75.html

- June 2003: Conference on forgeries in Island

- John Myatt: art fraud gets an opportunity in the art world

"It is very weird that people in the art world are willing to do business with this fraud and that Art and Antiques Magazine advertises this show! " Ton Cremers, Museum Security Network

Honest Fakes

WARWICK, ENGLAND --

Former felon John Myatt is infamous for his forgeries. In fact, he spent four months in prison as the creative half of one of the 20th century's greatest art frauds. As the brush man for con artist extraordinaire John Drewe, Myatt copied works by Picasso, Raoul Dufy, Ben Nicholson, Georges Braque and many others-- about 200 in all. The paintings made hundreds of thousands of dollars in the 1980s and '90s. After trading prisoner portraits for phone cards behind bars, Myatt is now knocking off more masterpieces and selling them under his own name in The Gallery in Warwick. "I sign all the pieces, 'John Myatt--Genuine Fakes,' " he says. 

The paintings, pulled off using house paint, are a smash. "He's sold out the show--80 paintings," says dealer Alan Elkin, who commissioned Edward Hopper's "New York Movie," 1939, from Myatt. And the scam may soon hit the silver screen: Michael Douglas plans to produce a movie about Drewe. Myatt has met with the producers and is ready to supply the art. "I can paint almost anything," he says. 

Such talent doesn't come along often. The ability to copy masters means you are as good or better than the best ever, as I see it. Why not use the talent to create your own masters, or even surpass them? I will never understand that. Just as I never understood the frauds I saw daily in my banking industry profession. A certain number of people would rather make a dishonest 9 cents than an honest $2.00 for the same amount of labor. I would not be the least surprised if this same man returns to criminal activity in the future.

- Bart

http://www.museum-security.org/02/150.html

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2007, 07:17:57 AM »

Bart,

I would like to see those in the "Houses" who deal with the crooks suffer more greatly. I agree, the thieves aren't punished appropriately. If a guy robs an armored car and steals 5 million he is punished much more severely than an artist who forges paintings. No justice is there?
Doc

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:54:57 AM »

When enforcement funding is cut, and minimal or no sentence is given for violations, there really isn't much point in having such laws. That sends a message, an encouragement to violators. Perhaps some pressure needs to be put upon prosecutors and judges that punishment needs to be stepped up. If HH takes on this task, it should consider addressing that aspect also.

- Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Tags: theft smuggle Neolithic Acheulean Mali Africa 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
GoogleTagged: alan john myatt

Jump to: