Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Baja California Coast Artifacts Could be From the Wreckage of a Spanish Galleon  (Read 356 times)
Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2007, 01:43:05 AM »

Mon Feb 26, 11:42 PM ET

MEXICO CITY -

Archeologists said Monday that porcelain plates and other artifacts found along the Baja California coast could be from the wreckage of a Spanish galleon that sailed between the Philippines and Mexico hundreds of years ago.

Seals and other markings on some of the estimated 1,000 fragments of porcelain plates found at the site indicate they were made in China in the late 1500s, said archaeologist Luz Maria Mejia of the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

The site, near the port of Ensenada about 50 miles south of the U.S. border, is covered by shifting sand dunes that have kept artifacts like these hidden for centuries. Archeologists have been scouring the dunes for years to try to find relics from old Pacific trading ships.

While early Spanish galleons ? which began sailing the Pacific trade route in the 1560s ? usually headed for the port of Acapulco far to the south, it was common for some ships to land further north due to the winds. They would then hug the coast as they traveled south to Acapulco.

Researchers believe the artifacts may have reached shore following a shipwreck, although no sunken ships have been found off the coast.

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Baja Bush Pilot
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 04:52:04 AM »

Graham Mackintosh describes in "Into a Desert Place", a vivid description of his walk around Baja, the great hook that juts out into Pacific current South of Guerrero Negro.  It is responsible for Scammons Lagoon and other famous Baja features.  After he walked the perimeter of this giant trap sticking out into the Pacific, he described hundreds of years of seaborn debris washed from in all over the Pacific on the beaches, including numerous wrecks from the Baja west coast

My one brief visit there convinced me there is so much there to be found that it will take more than a few treasure hunters to unravel it's secrets.  I saw everything from old hatch covers to a live Sidewinder Missile.  It is a place in need of discovery.

Regards,

Barry
Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:02:53 PM »

Here's a free plug for the book, as it so good.

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Englishman Graham Mackintosh seems an unlikely candidate to walk the 3,000-mile coast of Baja, California--after all, he calls himself "the most unadventurous person in the world." Yet Mackintosh spent 500 days in that loneliest of deserts, carrying his world on his back, dining on rattlesnake and cactus, drinking distilled seawater, and living with fear as a constant companion. So, just what was this "most unadventurous" man doing in a place like Baja? In Into A Desert Place, Mackintosh blames books for his transformation from armchair traveler to hardened adventurer. A taste for adventure travel literature soon developed into an addiction; when the library shelves had surrendered the last of their treasures, he went into a kind of withdrawal: "It got so bad that I even thought of doing something adventurous and crazy myself.... " Walking around Baja was not Mackintosh's first choice--he considered getting married--but a trip to visit friends in Los Angeles led him to the little Mexican village of Ensenada, which had been prominently featured in one of those adventure travel tales he'd read in England.

Like Tolkein's Bilbo Baggins, running down the road toward adventure without a hat or coat, Mackintosh set off to Baja without a tent or sleeping bag, hitchhiking his way around the peninsula until his money ran out. By that time, he'd fallen deeply in love with the harsh environment and was determined to come back and explore it more thoroughly. Into a Desert Place is his account of what he saw and learned on that second trip, and how he survived.

ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 04:15:35 PM »

HMMMMMMMMMMMM! Hi Guys. This kind of fits into the sites I am playing in, except I am a long ways further up the coast. Here si a Chinese plate from my site. Archeologist friend says it's 18th century. I should have taken a picture, but I scanned it and it's a little distorted, but you'll get the idea. Also the coins from India I have found are a tip off. Happy hunting you all.
Ole Grubstake

* Wreck plate.jpg (524.36 KB, 2133x2330 - viewed 5 times.)

* Wreck plate 2.jpg (487.92 KB, 2372x2322 - viewed 7 times.)

Ole.Grubstake the Gold Getter
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OnlineOnline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 06:31:39 PM »

Cool Grubby,

How about a mild cleaning with a diluted muriatic acid solution to bring up any writing? What do you think?
Doc

ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

Hey doc-- Just got back from breakfast with the Wife. Sent her to Smell LA to her grandboys. So I'll be Free to scrounge for gold this weekend as well do some minor Honeydo's. The plate has no writing and I like the big buffoon that I am broke it when I stuffed it in my wetsuit. It broke when I banged up against some rocks the dive that the big white Chompers was hot on my tail. Pissed me off to no end. As it is the only pottery I had found yet. This was laying wedged in a small crevice and was unbroken till I go my stupid paws on it. I also didn't want to clean as I love the marine life on it. Really shows it was from the ocean. The true color if you look closely is a Robin eggs blue. If you check the crack out you will see the true color. Submersion and the salt water had changed it to a dull blue-green. Anyway the archaeologist knew exactly what bit was. It was a poor mans type of plate with no artwork on it. Kind of a everyday sort of porcelain that they produced in prodigious amounts. I have looked at it closely to see if there were any identifying marks and could not find any. On a different subject I guess I have Tipan really on a rampage with me. More silly emails from the down under idiot. Will fill you in on SKYPE laters. have a great day. Like the pics on my monitor of you with a bird on your shoulder. lol  Better than a monkey.My Umbrella Cockatoo likes to sit and nibble on my ears. lol
Grubby

Ole.Grubstake the Gold Getter
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: