Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Port Royal Jamaica  (Read 641 times)
Description: Port Royal in maps and history
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« on: April 21, 2007, 01:52:41 AM »

Members,

I was fortunate enough to visit the Historical Museum of Southern Florida while the Port Royal Exhibit was taking place.
I have always been intensely interested in Jamaica, once a jewel in the British Crown. I have followed the exploits of Edwin Link who first did the marine archaeology at the sunken city of Port Royal. There is a fascinating page of history to follow.
Doc

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 01:55:58 AM »

Members,
Thomas Jefferys deserves a separate article, a fascinating man of history. Let me take you thru the exhibition.
Doc

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:24:31 PM »

Members,
For those of you who might be too young to remember the first person to explore the Sunken City of Port Royal was Mr. Edwin Link in spite of what you might have heard to the contrary. Mr. Link took pity on a young marine, Robert Marx, who had recently embarrassed himself by announcing to the world that he had "discovered the Monitor".*

Mr.Link's exploits were published by the National Geographic;

Link, Marion Clayton. EXPLORING THE DROWNED CITY OF PORT ROYAL. Washington: National Geographic, February 1960. p151-182. Several color photos, maps and line drawings. The excavation and artifact recovery of the city of Port Royal, Jamaica which sank in an earthquake in June 1692. The city was a well known buccaneering capitol at the time of the disaster thus allowing us to see what items were used by pirates and seamen alike during this period. Many artifacts are pictured including a gold clock which interestingly may say (like the HMS Pandora October 1985 issue) what time it was when the city went down. This work on the site comes a few years before Robert Marx extensive excavation of Port Royal sunk. This copy in rare, fine condition....$25.00

It was neglected to mention that Marx was a crew member on the Link Vessel and is listed as such in the volume

"Marine Says he Touched Craft." News & Observer, [Raleigh, NC] (July 18, 1955).
"The news-breaking claim by Marine Cpl. Robert F. Marx that he had touched the Monitor buried upright in the sand not far form the shore. Marx is quoted. His claim later proved to be unfounded."

As was noted in the paper he couldn't take anyone back there when asked and it was found many years later by Clive Cussler's NUMA Group 17-18 miles away.

This same person recently published a book stating the HMS Sussex carried a cargo of gold from England in the 17th Century so be advised members.

The World?s Richest
Shipwrecks
by Robert Marx &
Jennifer Marx
To rank here, at least a million
dollars in treasure must have gone
down with the ship. Original treas-
ure charts, 100-plus topside and
underwater photographs, and the
stories of exciting finds, such as the
British hms Sussex, lost in 1694
while carrying more than $4 billion
of goods.
256PP. HARDCOVER 2005 $40.00

Doc

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »

Members please let me give you a brief biography of this amazing man, Edwin Link, before we get into the topic.

A BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF EDWIN A. LINK

Engineer, oceanologist, pilot, industrialist, dreamer, and visionary are but a few of the titles that describe Edwin A. Link. The man so enthralled with aviation that he invented the "blue box" or "Link Trainer" flight simulator also had a passion for the sea. His interest in such seemingly contrasting habitats have led some to describe him as a navigator.

Although born in Huntington, Indiana, Ed Link spent most of his youth living in upstate New York. There, he enhanced his mechanical aptitude while he worked in his father's organ company.

Ed Link's fascination with aviation led him to take flying lessons. The dreamer developed his now famous Link Trainer to help people learn how to fly for less money than actual airplane hours would cost. This first aviation trainer was a wooden fuselage with a blue painted cockpit mounted on organ bellows from his father's business, the Link Piano and Organ Company. A vacuum pump operated the bellows and gave the fuselage the necessary pitch and roll of "flight."

Sale of the "blue box" pilot maker went slowly until 1934, when Ed Link demonstrated his trainer's capabilities to Army Air Corps officers in New Jersey. The Army Air Corps placed an order for six trainers. Soon, orders came from Japan and the Soviet Union. The onset of World War II brought demand for many types of trainers, including trainers that simulated various military aircraft, gunnery trainers, radar trainers, automatic pilot trainers, and celestial navigation trainers.

After the war, military orders declined. But, by the early 1950s, Ed Link's company and others began the design and construction of electronic simulators employing computer technology. These new simulators gave training in a myriad of aviation procedures from take-off to landing.

With the new simulators and with the Link Company growth now ensured, Ed Link's opportunity came to channel his creative abilities in new directions. In 1953, Ed established a foundation to support research and education in aeronautics and oceanography. The Link Foundation began awarding grants to universities and non-profit organizations. Ed also started a new career in underwater archaeology, an outgrowth of his interests in sailing and diving. After he sold the Link Company, Ed devoted more time to his underwater pursuits. What began as a hobby, to find sunken treasures off the coast of Florida, became a new avenue for Ed Link's genius to explore.

Once Marion and Ed Link decided to work full time exploring underwater, they found their pleasure sailing vessel, "Blue Heron" too inadequate for their needs. They purchased and converted an old shrimp trawler into a research vessel that they named "Sea Diver."

By the late 1950s, after several expeditions in the Caribbean, Ed Link was ready to design a boat specifically for his underwater research. He supervised the construction of his 100-foot research and pleasure vessel "Sea Diver II." Her maiden voyage was to Port Royal, Jamaica to explore the sunken city.

Then, in 1960, the Links set sail for a three year underwater archaeological expedition in the Mediterranean Sea. On this expedition, Ed Link tested his submersible decompression chamber (SDC) that he designed to allow divers to work and live underwater for extended periods of time.

An outcome of this expedition was a program that would further test the SDC and underwater habitats. His Man-In-Sea programs began in the early 1960s after Ed Link received the National Geographic Society's commitment to publish his research.

Using the submersible decompression chamber he designed, Ed Link supervised a successful 430 foot dive off Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas. The dive also employed his submersible portable inflatable dwelling (SPID). Robert Stenuit and Jon Lindbergh (son of aviator Charles Lindbergh) were the divers for this project.

An outgrowth of the 430 foot dive was the organization of Ocean Systems, Inc., a company devoted to the commercial development of a broad range of underwater services and support systems. About that same time, Ed Link joined with John Perry in the design and construction of "Deep Diver," a four-man lockout submersible. It was the first submersible with an exit hatch for divers to use to work at great depths on the ocean floor.

In 1969, Ed Link purchased a deserted mining channel between Vero Beach and Fort Pierce, Florida. Link Port provided a permanent base for Sea Diver II and, in 1971, became the sight of Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution, a research facility for marine science and ocean engineering founded by J. Seward Johnson, Sr.

At Link Port, Ed Link continued designing a new submersible improving on the Deep Diver design. Johnson-Sea-Link was made of an aluminum alloy and acrylics for a lighter submersible. The acrylics were used to create a huge transparent acrylic sphere to be the pilot/observer's compartment. The aluminum alloy was used for the frame to hold the diver's compartment, battery pods, and other component parts. In 1989, the Living Seas exhibit at Disney World called it "futuristic"?today. And the submersible had been in use almost 20 years!

An unfortunate accident with Johnson-Sea-Link in the early 1970s resulted in the development of a cabled observation and rescue devise (CORD). The Johnson-Sea-Link became entangled in the wreckage of an old destroyer off Florida's coast. Two divers, Albert Stover and the Link's son Clayton, died in the accident. Ed Link devoted the next two years assisting in the design of CORD that works in conjunction with a surface ship. The unmanned CORD uses television cameras, lights, and hydraulic-powered claws and cutters, that allow it to free a trapped submersible. It was one of the first remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) used.

Not one to limit his interests, Ed Link also established the Link Antique Steam Foundation, Inc. for research and education relating to energy sources. To demonstrate steam energy, a scaled down train powered by a steam engine wound through the campus at Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institution. In 1990, the train was donated to the Gold Coast Railroad Museum in Miami, Florida.

Ed Link's contributions to the worlds of aviation and oceanology have brought him recognition from many universities and organizations. He received honorary degrees from Tufts University, Hamilton College, State University of New York at Binghamton, Syracuse University, and Florida Institute of Technology. Other honors include: The Franklin Institute's Howard N. Potts Medal; the Wakefield Gold Medal from the Royal Aeronautical Society in London; the Underwater Society of America; NOGI Award for Science; Matthew Fontaine Maury Medal from the Smithsonian Institution; OX5 Club Aviation Hall of Fame; International Oceanographic Foundation Gold Medal Award; and the Lingbergh Award.

Ed Link died September 7, 1981. Just a few days before his death, the city of Binghamton in New York honored him by renaming its airport Edwin A. Link Field. The worlds of aviation and oceanology will remember him for the dreams he brought to life.

Solomon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:53:06 PM »

This is listed as 'non-fiction'.
Port Royal - The Sunken City
Robert F. Marx was one of the men caught up in those legends, and this book describes the fulfillment of his childhood dream: a two-and-a-half year exploration of the historic Jamaican port. The first investigation of the site by a trained marine archaeologist, his expedition discovered thousands of perfectly preserved artifacts of life in the 17th century city: silver and pewter ware; brass, iron and wooden tools; and much more, including two hoards of classic buried treasure: Spanish pieces of eight.

Doc:

You quote:
"The news-breaking claim by Marine Cpl. Robert F. Marx that he had touched the Monitor buried upright in the sand not far form the shore. Marx is quoted. His claim later proved to be unfounded."

I am confused. Is the book a tissue of lies, or the early claim by Marx?

Further, is his claim to be "a trained marine archaeologist" correct, in your opinion?

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 05:26:45 PM »

Solomon,

I was referring to both. Marx' claim on finding the Monitor was proved to be completely false at the time.

In the book I referred to he claims that The HMS Sussex left England with and immense fortune in gold on board.
There is absolutely no evidence of that in the records of Parliament or anywhere else.

I have never imagined Marx could possibly be a trained archaeologist. In my capacity as an International Associate of the American Anthropological Association I can say that I have never seen his name listed as being accredited. He was also never knighted by the King of Spain, another fable.

Here is a picture I took of a painting at the Port Royal Exhibition in Miami recently.

I will post more pictures and charts as time allows.
Cheers,
Doc

Solomon
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 11:05:52 AM »

View of Port Royal, Jamaica
Artist Richard Paton
Date circa 1758
Repro ID BHC1841
Materials oil on canvas
Measurements Painting: 635 x 1219.2 mm
Credit line National Maritime Museum, London

Description

An aerial view of Port Royal, Jamaica in 1758, showing merchantmen and other vessels in the approaches. In the early years of the 18th century Port Royal had been notorious as a den of iniquity for pirates and brigands of all kinds. In 1724 it was the scene of the execution of the famous pirate 'Calico' Jack Rackham at Gallows Point. Port Royal had been devastated by an earthquake in 1692, but was subsequently re-occupied and rebuilt as Britain's principal naval and mercantile port in the Caribbean. As a wealthy sugar island, Jamaica was a valuable colony for Britain and was also heavily involved with the slave trade, making Port Royal a principal centre for this. By the middle of the 18th century a new doctrine of the liberalization of trade was emerging, in an effort to curb the excesses of monopoly trade claims. In peacetime, a system evolved that became known as the Freedom of the Seas. This promoted the belief that every ship should have the right to expect an unhindered passage to her destination, providing she was engaged in honest trade and prepared to obey the customs laws of the country in which she hoped to sell her cargo.

The artist has distorted the perspective to achieve his effect, with a predominance of sky occupying half the picture. Port Royal lies towards the left and the flat coastal plain is encircled by mountains. The port is visible inside the harbour. Morant Bay Fort, built in 1758, is to the left of centre, at the mouth of the harbour. Small islands are depicted scattered in the foreground amongst the ships. Three British war ships are shown under way off the harbour. The one on the left shows her stern and red ensign. Those on the right of centre, broadside, and on the far right, with the bow in view, fly Union Jacks at the bow and red ensigns. Other shipping is visible at anchor on the left in the distance.

The artist started his painting career as an assistant to a ship's painter on Sir Charles Knowles's ship, and he rose to become one of the principal painters of naval actions of the 18th century.

I first saw Port Royal when I was quite young, as I have family in Jamaica. The technology needed to dive the town had become available only recently by that time.

Much more recently, I was contracted to study a coastal site in the Maritimes and needed to learn of molasses cement. Doc, you know more of how this building material was used in the Caribbean. I made contact with Donny Hamilton, Professor of Nautical Archaeology and Texas A&M and Director, Center for Maritime Archaeology and Conservation. He heads the archaeology program for Port Royal.

All I knew at that point was that 'Nelson's Quarterdeck' in Port Royal was built using molasses cement.

I was surprised that Hamilton knew nothing of molasses cement.

The Port Royal Project concentrated for 10 years on the submerged 17th-century remains on Lime Street, near its intersection with Queen and High Streets in the commercial center of the town. At present, eight buildings have been investigated.  The work has resulted in a more detailed body of data on the buildings and their in situ artifacts than any previous excavations at Port Royal - on land or on under water.

The construction features of five of the investigated buildings exemplify the variety of architectural styles found in the city's center.  Some were well-built, multi-storied brick structures, while others were simple, earth-bound frame buildings, hastily erected, with no intention for them to last.  In several instances, a small core building was constructed, and then rooms were tacked on as needed, until the structure formed a complex.   Both brick and timber buildings have contributed significantly to our understanding of 17th-century town planning, architecture, diet, cooking activities, and other aspects of daily life.

This is a fascinating program

On my first visit, many years ago, I picked up the silver tankard supposed to have belonged to Henry Morgan. It was double-handled and very heavy for me and I imagine a lot heavier when full. I have been 'sold' on Port Royal and Morgan ever since.

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 03:30:10 AM »

Solomon,

Yes, molasses cement, a building material first used in India. In my 30 years in the Caribbean I have seen and examined countless buildings constructed using this material for cement. Sugar, and its byproducts were plentiful in the islands while cement was all but unheard of and costly. After constructing a rubble wall the surface was covered in plaster. Coral was burned for lime. In this way the walls were protected from the torrential tropical rains and humidity which would have weakened and destroyed them. The windows and doorways were generally constructed with precious bricks shipped as ballast but often local volcanic stone was also used. The degree of ornamentation in some of the old buildings still standing is extraordinary.

Cheers,
Doc

Bart
Platinum Member

OnlineOnline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 07:23:42 AM »

Port Royal: The Pirate Capital of the World

In the 17th century, piracy in the Caribbean Sea was quite common. Roving gangs of bandit sailors took over ships, then attacked ships and towns to seize precious booty ranging from gold and jewels to kegs of whiskey. At one point, there were so many pirates, that an entire town became their home and base of operations. That town was known as Port Royal: The Pirate Capital of the World.

Port Royal began as a town that was established in by the Spanish on the island of Jamaica. It was located on the south coast, towards the eastern side of the island, on the western end of the Palisadoes beach. In 1655, the city was claimed by England and it quickly grew in size. By 1659, it consisted of a large fort surrounded by two hundred houses and numerous shops and warehouses. It was also established as the capital of Jamaica itself.

The city was located along shipping lanes between Spain and Panama, providing plenty of tempting targets for pirates. The city's natural harbour provided an ideal place for pirates to stop and have their ships repaired and refitted, while they experienced the ample nightlife that the city had to offer. Additionally, it was located near a lot of Spanish cities, which provided prime targets for pirate fleets.

The city gradually left the control of the English government after they realized that they did not have the manpower to defend it with British troops. Instead, the Jamaican governor turned to the pirates to defend their beloved port from French and Spanish invaders. By the early 1660s, the city was essentially filled with pirates and other criminals, leading some to call it the "Sodom of the New World". The British also began paying these pirates to attack Spanish and French ships that passed by, aiding them in the war effort.

Drinking, prostitution, and gambling were everyday activities for citizens of Port Royal. At one point, there was a tavern for every 10 residents in the city. In July of 1661 alone, the city awarded over forty liquor licenses to new taverns. By 1692, nearly seven thousand people lived in the town. The city's wealth grew immensely from all of the vice, attracting plenty of well known pirates like Henry Morgan, John Davis, and Roche Brasiliano.

However, once Henry Morgan took over as lieutenant governor of Jamaica, the city began to reform. Pirates were no longer recruited to defend the city and slavery became the primary industry of the city. In 1687, Jamaica passed a number of anti-piracy laws, further excluding the pirates from their former haven.

The city was irreversibly changed on June 7, 1692, when a massive earthquake struck the city and the sand bar on which the city was built eroded into the sea. Afterwards, the main part of the city was underwater and the number killed was estimated at 2,000, approximately half of the city's population. Some called the earthquake a sign of God's displeasure with the sins being committed in the town.

The city was partially rebuilt several times over the next century, but it never regained its original state. Ironically, the city become known as a place for pirates to be executed. Gallows Point was constructed, allowing for the quick public execution of all sorts of villains, including Charles Vane and Calico Jack. Today, the city is now part of Kingston Harbour and Kingston has become the capital of Jamaica.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/site.php?postnum=2243&phpMyAdmin=af0f6b4465fe3f904426eaeb3dc0e3fa

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Tags: Thomas Jefferys  Geographer to the King  Port Royal  Jamaica 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: