Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Contact
Best viewed with Firefox
Del.icio.us Digg FURL Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot

Linked Events
  • History Hunters: Tumulus: March 08, 2007 - March 09, 2007
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: History Hunters Project: Burial Mounds  (Read 14641 times)
Description: Bronze Age tumuli with Saxon additions
Solomon
« on: November 27, 2006, 10:19:44 AM »

One of our projects this week is the geophysical survey of burial mounds tentatively dated to the Iron Age. Diving Doc, Moneypenny and I will be using our new gear from Accurate Locators. More later.

Some background:
Tumulus
A tumulus (plural tumuli or tumuluses) is a mound of earth and stones raised over a grave or graves. Tumuli are also known as barrows, burial mounds or kurgans and can be found throughout much of the world. A tumulus composed largely or entirely of stones is usually referred to as a cairn.

The method of inhumation may involve a cist, a mortuary enclosure, a mortuary house or a chamber tomb. Examples of barrows include Duggleby Howe and Maeshowe.

Duggleby Howe (also known as Howe Hill, Duggleby) is one of the largest round barrows in Britain, located on the southern side of the Great Wold Valley in East Yorkshire, and is one of four such monuments in this area, known collectively as the Great barrows of East Yorkshire. Duggleby Howe is believed on the basis of artefacts recovered to be of Late Neolithic date, but no radiocarbon dates are available.

Britain
In Britain, early references to tumuli were made by William Camden, John Aubrey, and William Stukeley. During the 19th century in England the excavation of tumuli was a popular pastime amongst the educated and wealthy middle classes who became known as "barrow-diggers".

This leisure activity played a key role in laying the foundations for the scientific study of the past in Britain. Barrows were popularly used to bury the dead from the late Neolithic until the end of the Bronze Age 2900-800BCE.

Square barrows were occasionally used in the Iron Age 800BCE -43CE in the east of England. The traditional round barrow experienced a brief resurgence after the Anglo-Saxon invasion as Scandinavian burial practice became popular CE500-600.

These later barrows were often built near older Bronze Age barrows.

Types of barrows
Archaeologists often classify tumuli according to their location, form, and date of construction. Some British types are listed below:

* Bank barrow
    * Bell barrow
    * Bowl barrow
    * D-shaped barrow A round barrow with a purposely flat edge at one side often defined by stone slabs
    * Fancy barrow A generic term for any Bronze Age barrows more elaborate than a simple hemispherical shape.
    * Long barrow
    * Oval barrow A type of Neolithic long barrow consisting of an elliptical, rather than rectangular or trapezoidal mound.
    * Platform barrow The least common of the recognised types of round barrow, consisting of a flat, wide circular mound, which may be surrounded by a ditch. They occur widely across southern England with a marked concentration in East and West Sussex.
    * Pond barrow a barrow consisting of a shallow circular depression, surrounded by a bank running around the rim of the depression. Bronze age
    * Ring barrow a bank which encircles a number of burials.
    * Round barrow a circular feature created by the Bronze Age peoples of Britain and also the later Romans, Vikings and Saxons. Divided into sub classes such as saucer and bell barrow. The Six Hills are a rare Roman example.
    * Saucer barrow circular Bronze Age barrow featuring a low, wide mound surrounded by a ditch which may be accompanied by an external bank.
    * Square barrow A burial site, usually of Iron Age date, consisting of a small, square, ditched enclosure surrounding a central burial, which may also have been covered by a mound

References
    * Albright, William F. (1923). "Interesting finds in tumuli near Jerusalem". Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 10 (April): 1-3.

* Amiran, Ruth (1958). "The tumuli west of Jerusalem, Survey and Excavations, 1953". Israel Exploration Journal 8 (4): 205-27.

* Barkay, Gabriel (2003). "Mounds of mystery: where the kings of Judah were lamented". Biblical Archaeology Review 29 (3): 32-9, 66, 68.

* Grena, G.M. (2004). LMLK--A Mystery Belonging to the King vol. 1. Redondo Beach, California: 4000 Years of Writing History. ISBN 0-9748786-0-X.

* Grinsell, L.V., 1936, The Ancient Burial-mounds of England. London: Methuen.

* Nelson, Sarah Milledge, "The Archaeology of Korea"". New York: Cambridge University Press. id=ISBN 0-521-44043-6
Solomon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »

It was quite cold today, even more so on an exposed hilltop. We will publish more images in a while, especially the funny ones of us riding in a tractor scoop loader. We return tomorrow.

This may be a natural slope worked by man into a ramp. Looking north.

There appears to be two or three mounds on this feature. Looking north.

This is one, taken close up looking southeast.

Our first survey showed what may be a ditch encircling the mound. EM data indicated iron inside the mound.

A coin of Hadrian was found in the wooded area atop the hill.

Solomon
Solomon
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 09:47:15 PM »

Day One, preparation.

Vincent, Moneypenny, Simon (landowner) and Solomon.
(Cameraman: Doc)
Bart
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »

I see Moneypenny is staying nice and warm. There appears to be some fresh earth in the bucket. From the looks of all of you, I would say it was a pleasant day! Any specualtion on the large object? Good luck!

- Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Solomon
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »

Hi Bart!

The first day was a bit of struggle as we took all three pieces of kit along and all were new - only Doc had been trained in their use and their arrival in Florida was 4 days late, reducing preparation time. Becoming familiar with it all was a bit of a job: assembly, integration with the computer for realtime scans, setting out the search patterns then the actual surveys, took time and the cold wind blew hard.

Second day was a dream. We knew exactly what to do and where.

The more we study the site, the more we see. We have identified six possible tumuli. The hill top is covered with trees and brush, and I suspect that there are many features partly hidden by earth accumulated over the centuries and milennia.

Tumuli of various types (listed above) were built by different cultures over a very long time. Being on a slope with steep sides, many artefacts are probably displaced. The geophys therefore cannot tell us exactly to which period they belong.

Vince learned that some years ago that Anglo Saxon artefacts were found on the farm, on a neighbouring hill. This led him to believe that the tumuli were perhaps Anglo Saxon (ca 500-800 CE). However, we found two pits on top of the hill which locals thought were from German bombs.

We used a metal detector to examine both pits and their surroundings. We did not find the pattern of iron that would indicate bomb fragments. One pit is far too wide and deep to be made by a bomb. It opened onto the lower slope. It is probably where either chalk or flints was mined.

Nearby some Roman coins were found, one of Hadrian. This indicates Roman activity nearby and maybe a hoard (they often buried these into the side of features, which is where the name 'bank' originates). Looking at the valley below, I think it possible a Roman road ran through the valley and that just perhaps, there was a villa. This could be Romano-British, or Roman.

Anglo-Saxon and Roman activity does not preclude that of earlier periods, in fact it lends credence to the idea that there was earlier activity. We may have Anglo-Saxon tumuli on an area shaped in an earlier period. I have it in my mind that maybe the slope up to the hill was shaped by man, as a ramp, leading to the hill top and this may be much earlier.

Simon has agreed for us to conduct further work there. Once we get back from our main project area (departed for this today), then we will continue there. This time, we will use the SP3000 in the woods atop the hill.

What is the long, red zone? I really don't know. I have ideas, a burial for example, but it is not in the burial mound. So there we have a mystery. It is, I think, maybe 8 feet long. Intriguing, isn't it?

Post holes?

Thanks for your interest, Bart and I do wish you were here with us. Still, there is next summer. Maybe, huh?

Solomon

Links:
Fancy Barrows
Round Barrow(s) in England in Hampshire
Bart
Platinum Member

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 05:15:11 PM »

Absolutely fascinating, and I heartily yearn to be there.

Some thoughts... Are there other geofizzy's to examine that could give you some notion what to expect here?

Postholes are a possibility, they could indicate a fortification.

Would it help to have a small tent, backpacker type, to use in such situations for preparation? Something to consider for next time.

- Bart

Solomon
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »

Sorry to be late coming back to you, Bart. I began then got distracted.

I will be returning there with Vince. We plan to get hard evidence for the period(s). Yes, I am now considering how to cope with winter and prolonged periods exposed to the weather without a vehicle nearby. Moneypenny and Doc were somewhat taken aback by the weather, as they are used to warmer climes. You should have seen Doc's grim determination: it was enough to have won a battle all by itself!

In the summer, we have problems with light on the laptops' display. There is always the problem of rain and electronics - this time we used a large, plastic bag. I will set about proofing the kit.

Just got very good news from Moneypenny and Jim on our project up north. It is all coming together very nicely - history, geology, geophiz and legalities. At least there they have a lovely, warm house to retire too and a vehicle when in the field.

Solomon
Bart
Platinum Member

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:45:42 PM »

It is hard to believe that with all the technology today, that there isn't a simple solution to the outdoor problem. Cold is not much fun, and I 'enjoy' it less each year. Coming from the tropics, Doc and MP aren't acclimated yet, and that is even worse, I feel for them. Enthusiasm helps though! Stick with it, it is worth it! Bon chance!

- Bart

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

Treasure is In books

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 05:33:51 AM »

Hi Bart,
just getting back on line after a harrowing flight, five hours on the apron while they 'fixed' the engine. Not very encouraging for a trans-Atlantic flight, is it?

The color pattern was necessarily choppy, what with the wind whipping the sensor head around but the pattern came thru nice and clear. This was a very large area scanned and the up and down walking on this slope didn't help but I do believe that the work in Spring will bear out the findings. I believe there are two burials in the trench to the right of the tumulus. I got a precious metal hit the one time I turned on the discriminating. I plotted about half an acre with the SP 3000 and got numerous hits and marked them. I wandered all the way back to the "Bomb Crater" which I could easily see wasn't caused by any bomb. The site should prove to be rich in history when work begins in the Spring. I will post more of the images after I finish the modeling.
Cheers,
Doc

Bart
Platinum Member

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 04:21:46 PM »

True, engine trouble would make me very nervous also.  Shocked

The site sounds very exciting! Is it typical for burials to be away from the tumulus in this manner? Have you any idea how it compares to other dug Iron Age sites at this point? What can be done over the winter to help the project along?

- Bart

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

Treasure is In books

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 05:29:02 PM »

Bart,

I am sure what with breaks in the weather and firm ground we will be able to negotiate a return to this site and collect more data prior to the work that will be done by the Archaeologists from Canterbury. I have no idea if this is typical as it is the first time that I have done this kind of application. I hope to have done more modeling on the data and post additional pictures by this evening, with luck. As for post holes, I sincerely doubt that the images represent that. All will be revealed in time.
Cheers,
Doc

Bart
Platinum Member

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 11:20:06 PM »

That sounds great Doc, no hurry on the pics, whenever you get a chance.

- Bart

Solomon
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 07:30:23 PM »

Vince will be leading a return on Friday 22 December, with Richard (family and army REME) and myself. We will be taking three pieces of gear with us. We will:
1. Use the metal detector to mark hot spots.
2. Use Vince's patented grid system to scan the grid.
3. If the above affirms the rectangular shape then we will uncover the top of a portion of it.

We will also look in the wooded hilltop close by and see if we can get dates for activity.

Wayne of Accurate Locators is taking a continued interest in our work there (thanks, Wayne!) and is receiving our data and reports.

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

Treasure is In books

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2006, 02:51:14 PM »

Solomon,
I can hardly wait until you search the remains we found of the hill-top fort, Roman Villa, or whatever the foundations are, that lie in the wooded crest of the hill above the line of tumuli. The suspense is killing me.
Cheers,
Doc

Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator

The Eyrie

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2007, 12:40:52 PM »

Thursday 8 and Friday 9 March 2007

Vince and Solomon will be joined by Justin of the White Cliff's Metal Detecting Club.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print

Jump to: