Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Linked Events
  • History Hunters: Tumulus: March 08, 2007 - March 09, 2007
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
Print
Current Topic Rating: *****
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Burial Mounds  (Read 4447 times)
Description: Bronze Age tumuli with Saxon additions
Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2007, 12:03:16 PM »

Some of our site team

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »

Trench 107 showing the stakeholes bored into the chalk.

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2007, 12:11:27 PM »

Trench 103 exposing the mound core to the natural chalk. The mottled brown area is Saxon burial no6 unexcavated. Not in danger of the plough.

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2007, 12:17:49 PM »

Two of our University students. Andy and Caromin finally finished excavating graves 4 and 5. Caromins father is an eminent archaeologist in South Africa.

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »

Grave no 05

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2007, 12:24:04 PM »

Grave no 05 Skull in situ.

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2007, 12:26:25 PM »

Grave no 05 was cut through grave 04. This picture shows grave 04 cutting 05 at the eastern end.

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2007, 01:17:14 PM »

Trench 114, The eastern section cut through the smaller of the two ditches.

Trench 111, The larger ditch believed to be the barrow mound ring-ditch.

Trench 111, Ditch.

My daughter Elissia (15 yrs of age) excavating

* 50 T106 large ditch facing east (F2).jpg (575.94 KB, 1296x972 - viewed 11 times.)

* 51a T106 large ditch (F2) facing NNW.jpg (515.2 KB, 972x1296 - viewed 12 times.)

* 18-T103 Elissia jp.jpg (135.22 KB, 835x661 - viewed 15 times.)

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2007, 01:23:44 PM »

Trench 114, the small ditch looking east.

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2007, 02:51:46 PM »

Vince,

Thanks greatly for those excellent quality pictures.

Cheers,
Doc

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2007, 09:51:12 PM »

Dear Doc,
              With regards to our instruments. The US mag equipment is a very well made piece of hardware. It is much easier to use in terms of keeping the head level and thus sensors in there optimum vertical postion. The design also makes for betterment over other handheld instruments especially on rough terrain. The only downside is the program software as we have discussed. If the manufactures were prepaired to adopt a similar program to that of British and European systems, the Magnum would be a best seller over here and in Europe!

As I have previously mentioned, Dr Gabor and myself recently undertook training with a British designed Fluxgate magnetometer. This equipment provides fast coverage and excellent images results on most types of sites. The Geoplot software costs around �650.00 (from Geoscan.com.UK) and the instrument �12,000 - �13,000. The Magnum hardware is more user friendly giving realtime information on a laptop in front of the operator, but lacks badly in the software department. In my opinion, the Magnum would become one of the top sellers if the software modifications were met. I would certainly back the systems commercial promotion here in the UK through History Hunters in this event.

Regards

Vince

Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2007, 10:23:18 PM »

Dear All readers,
                       Looking at the story board with nearly 4500 hits, our site at Alkham seems to be the most visited. Alkham as a place-name drives from Old English ealh + ham meaning "Homestead in a sheltered place, or by a heathen temple" Charlie and his family were still pagan Saxons at this period from whence the village probably got its name? The spelling Ealhham was recorded in 1100 AD.  Work is still continuing at the site despite delays due to the poor weather we have experienced this summer.

Unfortunately, the site lies at the top of a sloping ridge which, is difficult to get to after more than one day of rain. The landowners Simon and Barbara have been fantastic with their support of this very long and protracted project and show great interest in the site as a whole.

The valley has a much wider story yet to be told having missed the gaze of archaeologists with limited financial resources available however, Simon and Barbara's kind support during the course of our research to date, has afforded us the opportunity to undertake the first major steps of work in this very important valley.  John, Justin and myself have experienced some added none archaeological times. Freeing a sheep on its back that got tangled in brambles with a penknife, watching two lambs born in front of us on our geophysical survey net (both repatriated with mum) away from the survey, cows with attitude and the farm dogs bringing us offerings of a small baby rabbit they caught! This small unfortunate fellow, was interred in Charlies now vacant grave in a cairn of stones.

This site is currently funded by myself and expensive to run, If any readers would like to contribute and help with this project, we would be very gratefull for any contributions you are willing to support us with. We are now focussing on the main Bronze Age burial mounds but running very low on financial resources.

If you can help with this project and its continuation, please contact me at: Vince Burrows. 258 Anzio Crescent, Burgoyne Heights, Guston. Kent. England. CT15 5LZ.

HHI will shortly be adding a paypal system directly linked to our site funding programme.

Regards

Vince

I will be posting our latest update with pictures for this site within the next seven days.

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2007, 11:51:41 PM »

Very nice report Vince, I really enjoy the photos, they give a great sense of connection. It appears that is has turned out to be quite a large and important project.

You wrote "Trench 107 showing the stakeholes bored into the chalk." Is it known what these stakeholes were used for?

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Vince Burrows
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2007, 11:53:47 AM »

Hi Bart,
           The term I used "bored into the chalk" loosely. These holes are the footprints left from stakes having probably been hammered in! This action compresses the chalk leaving a feature which seems hand cut however, some are hand cut. As for the purpose, this particular arrangement on this ridge was probably some kind of animal enclosure or pen. We have discovered a singular stakehole nearby which is much larger. We still need to delimit the area but my thought's are for a larger fence having been erected.

We started-out looking for at least four barrow ring-ditches, two or three being the norm in this area of Kent. After a brief survey of the wood above this site, I now believe there might be at least ten if not more? If my theory is correct, our Alkham site may slot in under the famous Ringlemere barrow site approximately 10 miles northeast of this site. Its possible the periods of these burials may turn out the same? Over the next few days, we will expose one of the mounds ring-ditches and post to HHI. Unlike that of Ringlemere, we have yet to come across another famous Gold Cup!!!!!

Hope alls well with you.

Regards

Vince

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2007, 12:37:58 AM »

Vince,

What are the latest reports?

Have you made any more discoveries or recoveries?

Congratualtions on everything done to date.

Regards,
Doc

Tags: tumuli tumulus archaeology Mesolithic Bronze Age Saxon geophysics burial metal detector 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
Print

Jump to: