Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Numismatic Gallery
8131927.jpg
Alex_06_obv.gif
8064668.jpg
72(1).jpg
Dio_coin3.jpg
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Spanish Cob Coins Identification  (Read 5672 times)
moneypenny
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

Spot o' tea?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2006, 10:56:15 PM »

Hey Ole Grubstake,   that's a beauty.  You are a lucky guy!  This coin is very much like one that we did an I.D. on awhile back.  From the era of Carlos & Juanna, this escudo is in very good shape on this shield side.  Do you perhaps have a photo of the reverse?  If so, I could give some more info.  Thanks for posting it. 
Moneypenny
Solomon
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2006, 05:43:37 PM »

A beauty indeed. Does it have provenance?

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2006, 05:51:34 PM »

Solomon,
We do need to see the other side of the coin for Moneypenny to nail it down. What does it prove? Perhaps, it might be presumed, very early presence of the Spanish or English on the Coast of California. If more coins and/or artifacts, the shipwreck itself, might be discovered then Ole Grubby will have some new pages of history to write. Of course, something as prestigious as this doesn't rest on a single coin but it is a starting point for a physical and intellectual investigation, wouldn't you say?
Cheers,
Doc

Solomon
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2006, 06:10:09 PM »

Doc,

My starting point, Doc, is the provenance of the coin rather than the coin itself. Until that is established, we have just the coin.

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2006, 07:06:41 PM »

Solomon,
I am in complete agreement, as I stated. It is only a starting point. We need much more evidence in the form of dateable artifacts from Grubby's wreck site. But all in all it is still a beautiful coin with a history of its own. What a wonderful thing to take from the sea.
Doc

Hi Doc---What I have is a small bay with a large reef that runs from one point out 1/2 way through the bay. I have located TWO sites. The site with the older coins is all older Spanish coins. The site out in deeper water has coins that are newer and mostly Spanish, But I have found three Russian Kopecks and a small amount pf Portuguese, Dutch, and English coins as well as the gold Fanams from India. It is a incredible mystery that I work on in all my spare time. I am planning one last dive in a few weeks with my son. Bad weather is starting to hit our coast and my site is EXTREMELY dangerous. I do not use a boat and it is a long, long paddle out to the sites. I really at this time am recalcitrant about giving any more info. Just am having fun and training my son. You guys have been a big help and I look forward to your posts and interest. Hope these pics help. I believe the coin is a 1550's Carlos Johanna. I have a huge pile of Copper Maravedis that have come from this site and some silver. This is the only gold coin from the older site. I have been keeping a map of where I find each coin, with the interest of the reef guardians "Great Whites" it has been  nervous and stressful but a fun adventure. I am getting a Shark Shield for my diving this next year. I am still doing research on whether my VLF detector is why I have been harassed by these behemoths. Whites is working with me as to why every time I have used this type of detector versus the pulse induction detector I get harassed and run out of the water by these huge sharks.. I also have inquiries out as to how a shark shield might affect my VLF detector if at all. 9 dives so far and 6 of the dives have ended in me exiting the area. The other three dives I was using the Pulse induction model from Whites. I will gladly post pics of my site when get pics. I just purchased a Nikonos 5 camera and strobe. I want to take pics of the cannons I located on my last dive. I am caught between a rock and a hard spot. I do not want interference from the state or Archaeologists until I am damned well ready to deal with those parasites. It might be something my son will have to deal with in later years.I figure I have about 10 more years where I can make hard dives as I am 60 right now. The cold water affects me now where it never did before. Anyway you guys are a great bunch. Will post this other pic on the history site as well Doc. I also plan to enhance your site with info on California gold history and my finds. I have 4000 acres of the original Fremont land grant that I patrol and have access to for gold hunting as well as my historic claim just out of Mariposa, Ca. I do a lot of history research and feel your site would be enhanced and your international audience get a bang out of gold rush history. So as you can see I am a busy person. I do land as well as sea treasure hunting. I look forward to working with you guys here and on the History site with all the info I can provide you with. "Except the wreck locations" LOL

* Grubby's 1550 Escudo Cross side for ID.jpg (28.57 KB, 317x340 - viewed 190 times.)

Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2006, 08:30:01 PM »

Grubby,

You answered your own question about the Sharks. Very Low Frequency is to a shark like blowing a silent whistle is to a dog, DINNER TIME!
LOL

We look forward to your posts and articles here. I might add Mariner is also a member here as is Cornelius and 99.
Cheers,
Doc Cheesy

Solomon
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2006, 08:32:45 PM »

It's a great story and I hope, as promised, we will be able to learn much more.

I guess we'll have to wait on the provenance, which is a pity, because we will probably never know the coin's history, given that our esteemed member holds archaeologists in such low regard.

Solomon
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2006, 07:21:11 AM »

yep Doc--------I agree that there are two separate sites. Thanks Doc for the offer on the bang stick. I already carry one in 223 cal. I carry it on my sleeve and it attaches very quickly to my short sling I always have with me. Now as to the coins. Yes the newer coins are at the cannon site area. The older coins are in a shallower area and I have some of the Maravedis counterstamped with dates of 1652 and 1641. There are other dates that I would have to look at but all are from the mid 1600's to the early 1600's. Some of the silver is from the late 1500's to the early 1600's. Only have the one gold coin from that site. I'll dig through my pile and try to find some I have cleaned and the dates are readable so I can scan them for your observation. I also recovered a bronze square hammered spike that I cleaned up. It is about 8 inches long. I also have an iron one about 7 inches long from the old site. Thought they were interesting. I also have a Chinese porcelain plate I found at the newer site. It has been dated from the mid-1700's. I have scans of these but this site will not take files that large. Anyway it's off to la la land for me. Spent the day splitting winter firewood with my son and we're beat. Will be back tomorrow to chat with you guys.

* Grubby Coin copper.jpg (13.51 KB, 216x237 - viewed 170 times.)

* another Grubby coin.jpg (12.7 KB, 206x232 - viewed 168 times.)

Ninetyninestar
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2006, 03:55:40 PM »

Great finds! What camera did you use to take the photo of the coins, it shows great detail. I have some that if I could get the right shot (as clear as yours) then I could post them.
Again very, very lucky man, watch those GW`s. Don't believe they wont bite because you have a tinny on your back. 99*

PS, Not insulting you by saying you are just lucky. By what I've seen, you're very good at hunting.
Sovereign
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 11:04:10 AM »

It'd be great if the member could find the time to post here directly. I also think it would be good if Diving Doc could discuss diving with him.

Regards,
Sovereign
Okie
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2006, 06:01:33 PM »

Hello.
I am new to this site, having found it while doing research on some coins that have recently come into my possession.
I have a large number of cob coins from the Cabalva and some 8 real coins from the Johanna, as well as  a few daalders from the Campen and a few ungraded coins from the Flying Hart.
These are fascinating to me and I am trying to learn as much as possible.  I have ordered a book on cob coins and some books on shipwrecks and recovery. 
The coins from the Cabalva and the Johanna have been graded by Ships Log Ltd.  I have googled my fingers to the bone and can't find anything on this company.  Are the grades legitimate?  What is the best way to sell a collection like this?  How can I learn more about cobs and mechanically struck coins of this era?
I also have some small silver coins that were with the Flying Hart coins that I haven't been able to identify.  They are well worn, fairly round but not mechanically struck and weigh about 2 grams.  They seem to have a lion with a cross above it on one side and a horse and rider on the other.  There is unidentifiable writing around the outside.  (My camera is temporarily not working.)
I love this site and am looking forward to reading past and future postings!
Okie
Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 02:01:35 AM »

Welcome to History Hunters, Okie   Cheesy

I moved your post to here, where Moneypenny and Diving Doc may be able to help you. They have just flown out to be with me in the UK, so please be patient.

No doubt they would appreciate seeing images, so the delay will perhaps be suitable for both you and them.

Thank you for your kind words. I do hope that you enjoy the site and our company.

Okie
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 02:23:41 AM »

Oops, I got my coins mixed up.  The cob coins were from the Johanna and the mechanically minted were from the Cabalva.  The mint dates are from 1773-1817.  My favorite coin has a drilled hole, probably worn on a chain around a sailor's neck. 
Thanks for moving my post.  I will learn the etiquette soon.
Okie
Solomon
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2006, 07:13:06 PM »

It's a bit late, I know, but now that Doc and Moneypenny have returned from the UK, perhaps one will look at this.

Cheers!
Solomon
arany
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 10:15:41 PM »

many years I have lot of examples of similar fakes made in antigua guatemala  so  Huhwith the micriscope posible to see marks of lost wax tecnique
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
Print

Jump to: