Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
News:
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Sharing the Waterhole  (Read 941 times)
Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:25:34 PM »

Maybe you've seen this on television: a waterhole somewhere in Africa, with all the beasts drinking in peace together. Its only the reptiles who spoil things. So welcome to this board - and don't be a reptile  Tongue

It is impossible for an archaeologist to excavate anything without losing a lot of data and destroying much. That's the nature of the beast.

A metal detectorist who doesn't dig deep - beneath the ploughshare - is hardly likely to be doing any harm. This is considerably less damaging than the work of archaeologists. The detectorist can also provide great leads, as well as artefacts, to the archaeologist and our heritage.

I won't try and stop anyone trying to strike a superior attitude - that's your right - but don't mind if I chuckle in the background.

The kit is getting better and better. There seems to be limitless opportunities to practice. In the UK at least, both the law and the prevailing authorities have adjusted to provide a legal framework and recommended procedures.

There is a lot to discuss. I hope that you join in.

Solomon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:24:33 AM »

I live next to one of the great tourist beaches in Britain and every summer evening metal detectorists scour the sands for the jewellery and coins lost that day. I have met a number of these guys - they nearly all are men - and they have shown me their collections with pride. Signet rings, wedding and engagement rings mainly - they spend the cash.

While it gives great pleasure to find a treasure, very often personal keepsakes hold a much higher intrinsic value for the person who lost it. Many detectorists derive the greatest satisfaction in seeking out the owners of lost items and frequently receive much more than heartfelt thanks for their integrity.

What archaeologists can learn from a find and its context can be of greater value than the cash it may bring. Few artefacts are, in themselves, unique. What is important is the context within which the artefact lay, for its study can tell us a story, its history, and be part of our common heritage.

Shops and online auctions have for sale countless coins and other items from archaeological sites and wrecks. Most are available for a small sum. Anyone who thinks that their life will be enhanced by possessing a coin salvaged from a Spanish galleon can obtain one legally and easily. There is no need to destroy our past in order to obtain this.

Metal detecting can be legal, responsible, rewarding and great fun. It can also be a good technique to use on archaeological sites and is often used this way. For theft, though, I'd introduce sharia and cut the offender's right hand off.

This website, History Hunters, will, hopefully, provide inspiration and guidance to those who want to write history through their honest endeavours. Our lands are full of treasures of great historical and financial value. Metal detecting has an important role to play in this. Whatever inspires you - fame, fortune, glory, academic success, or increasing our knowledge and understanding of history, is okay with me (for whatever that's worth).

History Hunters works within both the law and applied science of Archaeology. We welcome all who honour these principles and offer whatever assistance we can to your endeavors.
Diving Doc
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

Treasure is In books

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 04:05:31 PM »

I believe that if this attitude became general the greater good would be well served indeed.

Doc

Sovereign
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 08:11:36 AM »

Good principles. May all us detectorists follow 'em.
ole.Grubstake
Silver Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »

I likewise agree

* Vellon Coin.jpg (13.51 KB, 216x237 - viewed 82 times.)

* Vellon coin2.jpg (12.7 KB, 206x232 - viewed 81 times.)

Ole.Grubstake the Gold Getter
RonP
Bronze Member

OfflineOffline

awaze ax permision

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 04:23:26 PM »

As someone who metal detects as a hobby and who also has an interest in archeology, I am glad to find some middle ground between the two endeavours.   Smiley

at least they are old pulltabs!
Administration
Webmaster: History Hunters
Administrator
Gold Member

OfflineOffline

The Eyrie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »

Hello and welcome to History Hunters, Ron.

Do you live on a boat? I see your location offshore.

I look forward to learning of your adventures with a metal detector. No doubt our other detectorists will be particularly interested in the kit you use and so on.

Yes, we strive to find that middle ground. In England, we call this Camelot.

Bart
Platinum Member

OfflineOffline

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 10:12:23 PM »

Welcome Ron, I hope you find many things of use here to help you enjoy your hobby more. If you haven't read this yet, it should help.

Bart

Learning is a treasure which accompanies its owner everywhere.
Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: